Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleting guest account

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Susanne03

Susanne03

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:43 PM

Hi I was told to run a chkdsk/r command because my free space won't increase even after I delete files. The command didn't do what I was told it would do. Afterwards I discovered that a guest account had been created and I was signed out as a user and into the guest account. Although I later signed back in as a user I don't want the guest account how do I delete it? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigDadBuddha

BigDadBuddha

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:49 AM

Click Start Button then---Control Panel---User Accounts---Manage another account----Click on "Guest Account---Turn Off

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

Open the Search charm and type in Control Panel.

Control Panel will appear below the search box, click/tap on it.

In the Control Panel click/tap on User Accounts.

Click/tap on the account you want to delete.

Click/tap on Turn off guest account.

That should do it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

Click Start Button then---Control Panel---User Accounts---Manage another account----Click on "Guest Account---Turn Off

Unless you are using the Classic Shell there is no Start button in Windows 8/8.1.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Susanne03

Susanne03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:55 AM

I want it deleted not turned off. Can I do that?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

To the best of my knowledge you can't delete a user account, you can only turn it off.

Why do you feel that this account needs to be deleted?

#7 Susanne03

Susanne03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

Oh its the guest account I want deleted not the user account.Because I never used to see a guest account on my laptop before I borrowed a friend and found a guest account when it was returned to me. So I don't want it.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:56 PM

The guest account is a user account.

Unless this is an administrative account they will not be able to change anything important on the computer.  Just turn it off and don't tell your friend that you've done this and they will figure that the account just doesn't work anymore, which effectively is the truth.

The only way I would thing it would be possible to delete this account would be to remove it from the registry.  But if you make a error while editing there you could wind up with a very expensive door stop.

#9 Susanne03

Susanne03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

Okay I won't try to delete it. Thanks

#10 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

It is not possible to delete the guest account because it is built in like the hidden administrator account. But you can delete the user profile C:\Users\Guest if it is taking lot of disk space.

Open elevated command prompt and enter the following command: (Make sure to backup anything that you don't want to lost)

RD /S /Q C:\Users\Guest

Open registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and delete the registry key that has value data "C:\User\Guest" for the string value "ProfileImagePath". (Do this carefully, deleting wrong key can cause problems. Please don't do this if you don't know what you are doing)

Edited by batman1234, 06 December 2015 - 07:02 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:39 AM

@batman1234

I don't think the amount of space being used for the profile is her concern.  I suspect that since someone else created this account without her permission she may feel a little nervous, or even violated and just wants it to go away.  Turning it off will effectively accomplish that.

We have members who's working knowledge of computers ranges from the newb to an advanced level.  Because of this I feel that it's always a good idea to suggest backing up the registry before doing any editing.  I always suggest the use of a program like Tweaking.com Registry Backup. :thumbup2:

#12 Susanne03

Susanne03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

Thanks guys. I'll just leave the guest account as it is. It's not like it's causing any harm. I only wanted it removed cause I didn't know how it got there. Lest I cause some other problem. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users