Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Problem booting into XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trouble at mill

trouble at mill

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

Hello, my neighbor has brought to me his Dell Precision 390 desktop which is failing to boot properly.

For a start, non of the usb ports are working (front or rear), so no mouse,  I connected a PS2 keyboard which is not moving the cursor either!.

The desktop has loaded with a pop-up massage titled, avgui.exe- unable to locate component `This application has failed to start because mfc110u.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I have checked up on this and found a reply from AVG support in response to someone in the same situation, the advice given was: completely remove your AVG products using AVG removal tool and re-install it, and a link to re-install.

In my case that is going to be pretty awkward with no working mouse or keyboard!.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,400 posts
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:40 AM

Looks like you are asking for help on another Forum also, if so, did you get the help you needed?

Also, did the owner have Recovery Disks, that might solve your problems if hardware is good, just re-install?

It would also be advisable to go to a linux system, even if just to troubleshoot hardware.  You could start a thread in the linux section to burn a DVD of linux, that can be run Live from the Optical drive or a USB, we can give you directions on how to do this.  This pc is Ubuntu Certified and will run super fast with a Full Linux OS!

Don't download the system in this link as it is old, you will need a newer one we can discuss on the linux fourm.

Edited by pcpunk, 05 December 2015 - 01:42 AM.

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

#3 nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

You can hit F8 key while booting (before you see the Windows XP logo) and try to access the computer in safe mode with networking.

​To check if it's a hardware problem you can try to access the BIOS hitting F2 or the appropriate key for that computer. (=Keyboard works).

If the computer have PS2 ports you can connect PS2 keyboard+mouse. Remember that PS2 is not hot-plug, try from cold boot.

As per pcpunk suggestion, a good way to check if mouse/keyboard and USB ports are working is to boot from a Linux Live CD. If CD is configured as the first boot device in the BIOS boot-order this would be your best bet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users