Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi shows connected, can't get online, even in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nero3X

Nero3X

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

I have Win 8. Usually, my laptop connects to the Internet just fine, but when it disconnects, I can't get online again for a few hours, even with all the diagnose/disabling-enabling adapters/resetting laptop does not help.

Every other laptops and devices in the house connect perfectly normal and never have it like mine.

P/S: I have also tried refresh and system restore, but usually it lasts a day or two before returning back to usual

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 03 December 2015 - 07:10 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to 'Networking'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

Given that everything else connects without problems this sounds like a problem with the laptop rather than the your network. So - make and model of the laptop please.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Nero3X

Nero3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

I'm using Asus S56CA-XX055H.

For some reasons, if I choose a fixed IP when it dc, the connection returns to normal but only for a day or so then back to usual. And when it happens, I choose "Obtain IP automatically" and the connection is back to normal again. So temporary fix revolves around switching between manual IP and automatic IP.

#4 irvin_than_allyl

irvin_than_allyl

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:49 AM

I think DHPC lease times are usually 24 hours by default. DHCP automatically assigns computers on the network an IP address, so your laptop may be having an issue getting an IP address from your DHCP server, which will almost certainly be your router. Have you tried rebooting all of your networking equipment as well? This should be done in addition to rebooting your laptop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

Is your router configured to assign certain computers static IP addresses?

#5 Nero3X

Nero3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:44 AM

I've resetted both my laptop and the modem. Still no change.

#6 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:35 AM

Is your Firewall blocking the TCP/UDP Ports 67 and 68?

Because DHCP uses port 67 and 68.

#7 Nero3X

Nero3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Ok. I don't know if it's unblocked by defaut but I've unblocked both tcp and udp for port 67 and 68 by adding "Inbound Rules". Will update more.

#8 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:22 AM

By default, the ports 67 and 68 are not blocked.

If you are creating custom rules, you should also allow port 67 and 68 OUTBOUND.

#9 Nero3X

Nero3X
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Apparently, unblocking 2 ports in INBOUND and OUTBOUND doesn't do much change. I still have to switch between set and auto IP as usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users