Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smoke came out of molex cable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 reznik

reznik

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

I was trying to install an IDE hard drive using a IDE to SATA adapter, I connected everything but when I went to plug the molex cable to the hard drive, as soon as the pins touched it sparked and smoke came out as well as a strong burning smell. I immediately removed the power cord from the power supply. The PSU smelled like burning plastic on the inside.

I took my PC and tried it with a friend's PSU. It posted OK to the BIOS, and detected every component ok. There was one problem though, at first it rebooted itself a couple of times and I got the message

"Power supply surges detected during the previous power on.

Asus Anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!
Press F1 to Run Setup"

After that, the PC wouldn't turn on. I disconnected the PSU, waited 5 mins and tried again. This time it ran fine for 15min without rebooting (just in the BIOS).

I also tried it with my friend's hard drive, but as soon as the windows boot logo appeared, the PC rebooted. I believe this must be because my PC is entirely different from his and I would have to reinstall Windows)

Does any of this mean my motherboard or CPU are dead or failing? I must say I'm not sure of the reliability of my friend's PSU either, but it works fine on his PC so I don't know

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

Sad to say you may have just fried something in the power supply or the mother board or a device of some sort.

Not every power supply or component will work with all motherboards and each other. Past time now to actually read the manual for that PC and mobo.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:24 PM

Just a guess here, but I'd assume that the HDD PCB might have cooked and that's why it's not booting.  Do you have a USB dock or another power supply that you can connect the drive to, to see if it's spinning up normally?

Edited by DataMedic, 02 December 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#4 reznik

reznik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

Just a guess here, but I'd assume that the HDD PCB might have cooked and that's why it's not booting.  Do you have a USB dock or another power supply that you can connect the drive to, to see if it's spinning up normally?

It wasn't booting with my friend's HDD (which works fine on HIS pc). My original SATA HD died, so that why I was trying to install an old IDE HD I had with an adapter, while my new SSD arrives.

#5 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

It's very unlikely that a foreign OS drive will boot unless you have nearly all the same hardware in the computer.  If you're interested in getting the data back off the failed drive, post a picture of the PCB board.  It might be a simple fix that can be accomplished with a soldering iron in a few minutes.

Edited by DataMedic, 02 December 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

You may have had a defective cable but now who knows.  Time to start testing things. A good dvom will help at lot but then you also need to know what values you need to see at each component. Like I said time for the manual specific to the computer its motherboard and it's components.  Google may be your friend in this case.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

It would go a long way to completely remove the MOBO and inspect it thoroughly. Surges and spikes can do serious damage.  Often it turns out to be a buffer chip or device control chip on the MOBO, seldom a CPU.  That old hard drive adapter may have a fault too.  A fault can create a reduced ability of the power supply, hence the shutdowns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users