Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want my bookmarks back!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:05 AM

Just a simple question asked by a relative novice here......

I've just reset my pc and re-installed Win10 after having boot-up/shut down problems. The problems are now sorted. Obviously, I've lost a fair few programs which I will have to reinstall, although my files are ok (I chose the reset option that enabled my files to be saved).

My only disappointment is having to reinstall my Chrome browser because I lost my bookmarks ans saved websites. I could reinstall these over time, but it will take me ages.

I've signed into my Google account but been unable to find a way of importing them back to my newly re-installed Chrome browser.

Is this the end of the line, or is there some way of rescuing them? What I found really odd was that there was ONE saved bookmark from my old browser that could be saved and nothing else!

Many thanks

Edited by robby501, 02 December 2015 - 06:29 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

Bookmarks are a local setting that are stored in your /%userprofile%/appdata/roaming folder.

If you have reset your pc all the contents of that folder would have been erased.

Sorry

#3 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:06 AM

Bookmarks are a local setting that are stored in your /%userprofile%/appdata/roaming folder.

If you have reset your pc all the contents of that folder would have been erased.

Sorry

that's ok, thanks....I just wanted to know so I know I am not wasting my time trying to re-find and restore them all manually!

Thanks again!

Edited by robby501, 02 December 2015 - 07:07 AM.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

Hi,

If you see the bookmarks in your google account then probably you need to sync them with the new install

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?hl=en

Edited by SleepyDude, 02 December 2015 - 07:22 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

Hi,

If you see the bookmarks in your google account then probably you need to sync them with the new install

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?hl=en

I had no knowledge of this feature, thanks.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

Virtually all of the major web browsers now support a sync feature to store all of your bookmarks/favorites, preferences, add-ons, etc., and carry them along with you.  This does, of course, require you to establish a sync account for each web browser you use and to log in to same on your browser(s) if you're on another machine or when you reset your own machine.

This is a feature I've come to love in both Chrome and Firefox.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 robby501

robby501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for all the additional info :thumbup2: . I'll look into it and see if I'm savvy enough to make use of these 'sync' features for myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users