Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing from XP to Win 10

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Quadclops

Quadclops

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

I have a computer with Windows XP still. I want to buy a copy of Windows 10. I know the upgrade will require a wipe of my C drive. I want to know if I can buy a digital copy and install it that way because my CD/DVD drives are super old and dont work properly. Also can I just move all my C drive files to my D drive and it will be ok when I install Windows 10? Any advice/help would be appreciated. I am not sure what I should do.

Edited by hamluis, 02 December 2015 - 07:34 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:07 AM

Without knowing your computer specs it's difficult to advise. Post information about your computer, Processor, RAM, Graphics, Make, Model, etc. Otherwise I suggest you go here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq and download/run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. If your system passes mustard for Win 8 it may be able to run Win 10.

You could alternatively run the Win 7 Upgrade Assistant. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20  If that goes well you could purchase/install [yes, they're still available] a copy of Win 7 & get the free W10 upgrade being offered by MS. Microsoft will continue security updates for Windows 7 until Jan.14, 2020. Personally, my own opinion FWIW, I wouldn't run Win 10 on old equipment. Others here may post otherwise.

You can also check your computer's website manufacturer's support section as you can find out if newer Operating Systems are supported for your system.    

my CD/DVD drives are super old and dont work properly.

Is your computer as old or older than those CD/DVD drives? Optical drives are dirt cheap these days. If you purchase, determine first if the drive is SATA or IDE. If your motherboard supports SATA then purchase that.

can I just move all my C drive files to my D drive

Yes, you can move pictures, music, videos, documents etc. You can not move any installed software. Those would have to be reinstalled. You would have to check those for compatibility with the newer OS. Also, lots of older hardware such as printers, scanners, etc may no longer be supported. You would need to check for drivers from the manufacturer's support page for those items.

Lastly, your computer is probably a good candidate for a LINUX OS.

Stay tuned, more advice is sure to follow.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

My advice is to buy a new computer.   The lower end of the cost scale, above a netbook, will have technical specs that will blow away any WinXP vintage machine and the cost above a retail license for Windows 10 is negligible.   You're already dealing with dead optical drives and it's not realistic to believe that the hard drives will have an infinite life.  I'm all for getting the most out of the equipment you buy, and I most often keep mine far beyond what the typical replacement cycle is, but there are limits.

You should also find someone you know with a Win10 machine who might allow you to have a test drive for a couple of hours.  The Windows interface took a tectonic shift with the introduction of Windows 8 and it is best to go into this change with eyes wide open as to what that entails.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 Quadclops

Quadclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:37 PM

I have actually upgraded this computer so its not a bad computer. I recently bought a Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz brand new for $120 and a GTX 750ti for $130. My motherboard is an Asus P5QC and I am going to buy 8 gigs of DDR3 Ram. I have 4 250G drives in a RAID for my C:/ drive and a 650G D:/ drive. My power supply is 650W as well. I will do the tests for compatibility but just looking at the specs do you think it is possible? Also where can I get Win 7? I think that might be smarter with all the issues I am hearing for Win 10. I am running low on funds so buying a new PC isnt quite possible right now. Thanks for the advice.

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

I will do the tests for compatibility but just looking at the specs do you think it is possible? Also where can I get Win 7?

Checking ASUS for your MB shows driver support up to Win 8.1. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QC/HelpDesk_Download/  You can purchase Win 7 & Win 8 from eBay. To take full advantage of all the RAM get a 64 bit W7 version with SP1 or 64 again for W8. Be sure you get a new factory sealed copy & check the sellers reviews. You could also check Amazon, NewEgg etc.

eBay Win 7  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=windows%207&clk_rvr_id=942547623299&mfe=search

eBay Win 8 http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=windows%208&clk_rvr_id=942529596506&mfe=search

I'd probably lean more towards Win 8.1 & I would also install Classic Shell or Start8 with it. W8 still offers the free upgrade to Win 10 which you may want to avoid. ASUS W10 support seems limited to specific models of your board. You will have to check further.

Classic Shell  http://www.classicshell.net/

Start8  http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

#6 Quadclops

Quadclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

So if I wanted to get Win 7 the first ebay bid looks good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-PRO-64-Bit-Full-Version-Upgrade-SP1-NEW-/371377370130?hash=item5677d0f412:g:F8wAAOSw7ThUkKtX

Thanks for all the help. I will probably buy 7 or 8 and try to install with my disk drives. I know one doesnt work and the other kinda works. The motherboard uses a SATA connection for them as well I think. So I may buy a new one when I buy Windows. I still need to get some ram. From what I have read when looking around the motherboard supports this ram. I was going to buy 2 sticks of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CP5Q7M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

That eBay W7 for $68.00 is a very good price. The item is new, offers free shipping & the seller appears to have a good rep. A tempting buy. The RAM also. I'd probably do a bit of checking for compatibility, but otherwise it looks like a go. Amazon return policy is pretty good & if you had to return for some reason your ship back costs would be little.

NewEgg & Amazon would be good stops for purchasing a SATA DVD/CD drive.

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

Sometimes it's better to buy a kit of RAM, instead of 2 individual sticks. Sticks in a kit are tested, and guaranteed, to work together, and don't seem to cost extra.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

Check it out.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/options/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 Quadclops

Quadclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

I know it supports the Value RAM. Unfortunately the RAM is so old I dont think I would be able to find a bundle of them. Not that they arent cheap already. I read around and some people with the P5QC motherboard recommended this RAM but other said it wouldnt work properly for them. So I figure for $40 I could give it a shot anyways.

#11 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:49 AM

Have a look here first: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/p5qc

#12 Quadclops

Quadclops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:57 AM

Am I looking at it wrong but the DDR3 ram from that site says its 1600mhz and that its compatible but the Asus site says its only compatible with DDR3 1333mhz and lower.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5QC/

#13 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:42 AM

That may just be a good question for Crucial support. I see they have a toll free number & also an online chat. 1-800-336-8915

It may be that your board will take the higher rated but will run at the lower setting the board supports. Sadly my MB engineering/design knowledge is limited. Perhaps someone with more knowledge in that area will provide some info.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

Question have you cleaned you drives, the lenses get dusty many over look this worth looking into.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#15 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:41 AM

Just from personal experience:  I have never had memory of the correct physical format but with a higher MHz rating not work on a system that originally came with "slower" memory.  Generally the memory simply operates at the highest speed that the hardware supports when that's slower.

I've also seen instances where someone mixed faster and slower sticks on a system that was meant to handle faster.  In that case the system itself "downgraded" its own speed on all memory to match the slowest stick in the bunch.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users