Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turn On Itself And Turns Off

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ExJan

ExJan

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

When I turn on my wall socket(I don't even press my power button) computer turn on it self 5 seconds and tuns off again(I don't get anything on my monitor).

When I press power button after that it turns on and stays on but I don't get anything in my monitor.

I was able to fix it by removing and re seating my ram cards.

This first started to happen like 8 months ago. I did't really thought it was a serious issue then. And it's very random It can happen two times a week or One times a month. It really doesn't bother me that much.

But do you guys think this is a serious issue??? Something wrong with my ram cards maybe. My PC never shuts down itself when I'm working it though.

Motherboard :    DP965lt (Intel)

Ram Cards :      1GB Kingston DDR2 400MHZ

1GB Transcend DDR2 400MHZ

2GB Kingston DDR 2 400MHZ

Proccesor :        Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz

Graphics Card : Geforce GT430

Hard Drive       : Toshiba 500GB

Any ideas Guys ??

Edited by ExJan, 02 December 2015 - 01:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

Since you posted that this happens when you switch on your wall receptacle I'm guessing that this is a switched receptacle.  These usually will be half hot.  This means that one half of the receptacle is turned on via a light switch while the other half will stay powered up all the time.  If this is the case, plug the computer into the receptacle which stays on all the time.  If both halves switched leave the light switch on.

Most PSUs have a standby mode which draws a quiescent voltge of 5VCD on the +5V rail.  When you turn the power back on the PSU again starts drawing from the +5V rail.  I suspect that restarting the PSU is responsible for the computer startup and shutdown.  What is causing the startup and shutdown I can only speculate.  When the power button is pressed it creates a short between the green wire and a black wire in the 24 pin PSU connector which initiates the start of the PSU.  So I suspect that something is happening with the motherboard which is causing the startup and shutdown.

I would also go so far as to guess that the computer isn't actually starting up, but is only going through a voltage cycle which spins up the fans and light up the LED.  But the operating system isn't opened.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:02 AM

I plugged it in to a different wall socket for now. So far so good. 

#4 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

Since you posted that this happens when you switch on your wall receptacle I'm guessing that this is a switched receptacle.  These usually will be half hot.  This means that one half of the receptacle is turned on via a light switch while the other half will stay powered up all the time.  If this is the case, plug the computer into the receptacle which stays on all the time.  If both halves switched leave the light switch on.

Most PSUs have a standby mode which draws a quiescent voltge of 5VCD on the +5V rail.  When you turn the power back on the PSU again starts drawing from the +5V rail.  I suspect that restarting the PSU is responsible for the computer startup and shutdown.  What is causing the startup and shutdown I can only speculate.  When the power button is pressed it creates a short between the green wire and a black wire in the 24 pin PSU connector which initiates the start of the PSU.  So I suspect that something is happening with the motherboard which is causing the startup and shutdown.

I would also go so far as to guess that the computer isn't actually starting up, but is only going through a voltage cycle which spins up the fans and light up the LED.  But the operating system isn't opened.

I had the most disastrous situation today.

I got this weird static sound when I'm playing games and it also affected performance. So I uninstalled my audio drivers and re installed them, but nothing happened. Then I uninstalled my Nvidia graphic driver and reinstalled it, nothing happened.

I posted about audio issue on a different topic in this forum and gave up till I get some help.

Then I started to watch a movie. Suddenly a malfunction  noise sound occurred and monitor stopped getting any signal. I turned off PC and restarted it. And the whole computer stating automatically thing started to happen again.

I decided to get to the root of the problem. I removed one device connected to the motherboard at one time and tried to start the PC (Not to start it automatically)

Removed the DVD drive & Hard Drive Still got the issue.

Removed the VGA card, volla ! The automatic starting thing didn't happen. Then I reconnected the VGA card I got the automatic starting issue again.

Then I did this couple more times to make sure it's the VGA. I thought the card was gone. I couldn't even check it was something else because my stupid motherboard don't have any onboard graphics.

Then I cleaned the PCI express socket on my motherboard and removed the fan and heat sink of the VGA card (There were tons of dust that card haven't been cleaned since years I think) cleaned them all and reconnected it. This time it worked ( No automatic start thing happened) but when I turned the pc on  I didn't get any signal on the monitor I tried couple different times and no luck. This started to really piss me off. I removed the VGA cable from monitor cleaned the ports and reconnected it and tried again. Whoa IT WORKED !!

I turned the PC on and off couple different times without any issues. The static issue with the audio was gone too.

Now I'm absolutely sure the automatic starting and shutting down thing happened because of the VGA card but it doesn't make sense, how can a issue with the VGA card make the computer start automatically. I'm gonna starting to lose my mind if something like this happened again.

Can anyone give me a expert opinion about this ? Does this make sense to you ??

PS : I'm really bad with English it took me at least 45 minutes to write this thing. Any help is greatly appreciated !!

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:11 PM

Great troubleshooting!  Yes, a beginning to fail video card can cause that trouble.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:22 PM

Great troubleshooting!  Yes, a beginning to fail video card can cause that trouble.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Wow really, so it was the video card all along. Gonna have to replace that one then. It was the next thing that I was gonna upgrade anyway. I hope this one will last long till I get a new card. 

Thank you very much for your help again.  :thumbup2:

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

Well, also thank dc3, he reminded me of something in his post.  Keep your receipt, just in case I am very wrong.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:33 PM

The information I found indicates that you have integrated graphics.  Put everything back together except the dedicated graphics card.  With the dedicated card removed the integrated graphics should now run.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

The information I found indicates that you have integrated graphics.  Put everything back together except the dedicated graphics card.  With the dedicated card removed the integrated graphics should now run.

If by integrated graphics you mean the graphics that comes on the motherboard then my motherboard doesn't have any. It doesn't have a VGA port. So there is no way to connect a monitor without connecting it in to a video card in the PCI express x16 slot.

Thank you very much for your time and help ! 

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

The DP965LT supports onboard graphics. This allows for integrated graphics when paired with a compatible CPU that supports them.

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Intel/Intel_DP965LT/2170

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

If there is no VGA port on the mobo, would there be an HDMI port instead?

#12 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:46 PM

The DP965LT supports onboard graphics. This allows for integrated graphics when paired with a compatible CPU that supports them.

http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Intel/Intel_DP965LT/2170

If there is no VGA port on the mobo, would there be an HDMI port instead?

That's very strange, I don't have anything to connect the monitor on the board. No VGA, HDMI or DVI. Nothing.

Here is a picture I got from google search. This is the exact one I have.

Xxh5hV4.jpg?1

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:54 AM

I found it on the Internet, so it has to be true. <_<

Ok... that's weird.

#14 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

Ok... that's weird.

I think the "pc-specs.com" got it wrong. Here says it doesn't have integrated graphics.

http://ark.intel.com/products/22640/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP965LT

#15 ExJan

ExJan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

Ok... that's weird.

I think the "pc-specs.com" got it wrong. Here says it doesn't have integrated graphics.

http://ark.intel.com/products/22640/Intel-Desktop-Board-DP965LT

Thanks for the help anyway ! I hope I won't run in to more problems anytime soon. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users