Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Office starter / trial

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xspeed

xspeed

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hello,

It's about a new Lenovo Laptop with Windows 8.1 preinstalled.

When it has been bought it had Microsoft Office installed, but after a few months the owner uninstalled it, without using it at all.
The person doesn't have any copy of any Microsoft Office.
Windows hasn't been reset, or the system partition hasn't been formatted.

From what I could have found online, the license of a preinstalled Microsoft Office could be only one of these two ways Starter or trial. Tell me please if I am wrong.

Can someone say please, if it's any possibility to find out if now the person can install and use Office without buying any new license?

Thank you.

Mod Edit: Moved to proper forum ~~ boopme

Edited by boopme, 01 December 2015 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:13 PM

He cannot use Microsoft Office without a license, this is illegal.

I would contact Lenovo for help instead if I have this problem.

Thread in wrong forum, the moderator will move to another forum.

Edited by batman1234, 01 December 2015 - 09:13 PM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:32 PM

From what I could have found online, the license of a preinstalled Microsoft Office could be only one of these two ways Starter or trial. Tell me please if I am wrong.

That's right.

Can someone say please, if it's any possibility to find out if now the person can install and use Office without buying any new license?

Not possible, it's not freeware. Even the pre-installed version would have started to demand money soon enough.

There is a free solution though, that works just as well in home environments.

OpenOffice

I hope this helps.

:busy:

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:13 PM

There's also LibreOffice, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 xspeed

xspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

Thank you very much for your answers.

Sorry, I didn't specify, in the first post, I was talking about installing or reinstalling Office legally.

The person is interested to buy the following, if you can please provide some links.

1.Microsoft Office Starter 2013 or 2016

One more time please, to be sure a double check, Office Starter includes only Word and Excel, and the above two has the same features like I would buy a full Microsoft Office suite.

2. Printed or digital books for this Certification: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/mos-expert-certification.aspx

Microsoft Office 2013 Expert certification. 

MOS: Microsoft Office Word 2013 Expert - Exams 77-425 and Exams 77-426
MOS: Microsoft Office Excel 2013 Expert - Exams 77-427 and Exams 77-428

Or if anyone can recommend some live shops around Copenhagen, or some online stores for the above two requests.

Thank you very much.

Edited by xspeed, 10 December 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#6 xspeed

xspeed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

Hi, 

I have three questions please, I will number them so it will be easier for you to answer:

I am interested to buy the legal, official Office Home & Student 2016, exactly the one from Microsoft web store.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Office-Home-amp-Student-2016/productID.323023200

Can someone recommend please any safe online shops where I could buy if for better prices than the Microsoft web store please? It means the cost should be less then $149.99 like it is on Microsoft web store please

If there are not any better deals for the moment, from your knowledge, when there are more chances to appear any better discounts for it on Microsoft web store, or on other online shops please, later on December, or in January?

I am interested to buy only one of these two books, both formats printed and eBook but only the original PDF format, not scanned:

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/store/mos-2013-study-guide-for-microsoft-word-expert-9780735669260

or

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/store/mos-2013-study-guide-for-microsoft-excel-expert-9780735669215

Or if it's a good discount I could buy both books each of them printed and eBook but only the original PDF format, not scanned.

If there are not any better deals for the moment, from your knowledge, when there are more chances to appear any better discounts for it on Microsoft web store, or on other online shops please, later on December, or in January?

Thank you very much.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:25 AM

xspeed,

Are you by any chance actually a college student?  If so I would definitely check out whether Microsoft Office Academic (which is far closer to the full Office suite) is available at your bookstore or can be ordered in by them.  The discounts on this are usually much better than the price you've quoted.

I virtually never buy directly from Microsoft.  There are any number of web stores, Amazon, Tiger Direct, and Newegg, to name but three, that usually have Office in its various forms available for prices better than Microsoft itself sells them for.  These days it's getting nearly impossible to buy actual media when you buy Office.  You generally buy a license key for the version of Office you desire then download it from Microsoft (no matter where you legally purchased the key).  You can also download an ISO file to burn permanent media for yourself if you so desire.  That's not strictly necessary, though, since your Microsoft Account (which you will need to create if you don't have one) holds a record of what you've purchased and allows you to download again in the future if needed.

I can't offer any advice on the books.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users