Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inaccessible hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PikaPirate

PikaPirate

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

So I've recently been having a ton of issues with my desktop PC, which have resulted in me being unable to boot into Windows after chkdsk being run on boot. Me being a massive idiot though, I didn't make a full backup, and am now struggling to retrieve my files. (So I can't just reformat as I kinda want my files)

I have a SATA - USB adapter device that I'm using to plug my drive into my laptop, and spare desktop, but I can't get any any of them to access the OS partition (where my files are stored). I have tried using Windows 7 and 10, yields the same result. I can see and access the recovery partition, but am not even given the size of the OS partition. I have tried setting ownership and full permissions to the computer being used, but I still get the error that '(Insert drive letter):\ is inaccessible. Access denied". 

It's a Seagate 1TB HDD, but I have no idea if this issue's down to a setting or something that I'm missing, or whether my drive's given up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

It possible linux can mount a partition where Windows fails. I would download Puppy Tahrpup linux. tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso Burn the iso to disk on Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Image File. I would boot Puppy on the Windows 7 computer to avoid the hassle of disabling SecureBoot on Windows 8. At the Puppy Desktop you will see your internal drives and partitions in the lower left. sda1..sda2...sda3 depending on the number of partitions. Attach your USB adapter. You should see a USB icon appear on the desktop. You should see sdb1..sdb2.. again depending the number of partitions. If you have more than one internal drive it could be labeled sdc Click once on the icon and it will try to mount the partition and a File Manager will open showing your files. 

Click once on your internal drive partition sdax you want to copy the files to. If it is not the correct partition close out the File Manager and try another partition. Once you have the correct partition you want to recover files to go to the USB disk File Manager. You can select files/folders by holding Ctrl + left click or by windowing around files/folders to highlight them. Drag the Highlighted files from the USB File Manager to the Internal disk File Manager. A small dialog window will appear. Select Copy and check the Quiet box.

And Welcome to BC

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2015 - 07:37 PM.

#3 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:07 PM

Maybe you can try easeus data recovery WinPE bootable. You can boot from it and recover data on hard drive even if it is inaccessible. And it is important to make a bootable disc/USB or do some backups regularly using some backup software in the future.

Edited by Bailifei, 01 December 2015 - 10:08 PM.

#4 PikaPirate

PikaPirate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:38 AM

Thanks guys, the Linux solution worked great. It took ages to copy, but at least I've got my files. I'll definitely be making more frequent backups now :)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

Glad you were able to recover your data. On your most important and critical data it's always good to have your data backed up to two locations.

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2015 - 03:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users