Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Expired??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Greetings. My brother-in-law has a computer that he only uses for games. Never connects to the internet but it has windows XP for the O/S. He now gets a pop-up that says windows XP has expired and nothing further. Can't play the games anymore. What happened.? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

Please give more precise details of the sequence here, is this when Windows starts or from the desktop when he tries to play games? If it's the Windows XP End of Support alert popup, checking "Don't show this message again" and OK will prevent it from appearing, and operation will continue as normal, but it doesn't sound like that's the issue.

If it is a suite of games that are refusing to run, but other functions in the OS still work, then it's possible the games were programmed with a hard limit date so they could not be used on XP after the support cutoff date.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

I will know the circumstances today (12/2/15). I suspect that it is one of those deals that came with the computer whereby you can have a free trial for a couple of months and then when the time expires, it ends. I have to check where they got the disc from, etc. I'll be back. 

#4 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:25 PM

Ok, I have some info.  Again, the computer in question is not connected to the internet and has XP O/S. Upon going thru the startup sequence the first thing that appears is a pop-up with a red circle and X; This copy of windows must be activated, do you want to activate windows now? Yes or No. If yes is checked there are options (3) for activating but all include internet connection. If no is checked, the process repeats itself. The other option includes system restore which I tried and after starting, that original pop-up appeared again but in a later startup, there was a message that said the system restore was successful although it had no effect on the problem . Next, I was successful in accessing with starting in safe mode whereby my brother-in-law is able to play his games but it's not right. The condition took about a month to develop in that over time, the warnings existed that there were only X days left and until there weren't anymore days left.. For whatever this is worth; The time line coincides with the change from At&t to Cox service but the computer that is in question is not hooked up to the internet, but I thought I would mention it anyhow. 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:46 PM

My guess is something has triggered the hardware change threshold and caused the activation requirement. If it's not desired to connect to the internet to activate automatically (e.g. security issues with no AV or Windows/AV not updated), there should be a contact phone number for Microsoft displayed on the activation notice. You can call the number and try a manual activation. That involves punching in some long number sequences but usually only takes about 5 minutes. If that isn't successful for any reason, from the same number you should be able to select to speak to an operator & explain the problem.

As far as I know, the XP installation will need to be at Service Pack 3. If it has been offline for so long that it's not updated that far, I'm not sure it can be activated.

Edited by Platypus, 02 December 2015 - 06:47 PM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:07 PM

Actually, now that I've said that, I realize I'm not sure if there are any caveats with re-activating XP since it's gone out of support. If there are, someone who is up to speed might read the topic & comment, or certainly Microsoft would let you know if contacted.

Edited by Platypus, 02 December 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:52 PM

I've reinstalled XP a few times since it went into non-support status (different systems) and had no problem installing XP or crtiical updates.

The Windows Update site will require (I think) that IE 8 be installed...IE 8 can be downloaded/installed from the desktop.

SP3 itself...can also be downloaded/installed from the desktop, if such is required.  After installation, all critical updates need to be downloaded/installed via Windows Update.

Louis

#8 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

Actually, I my intent was to reinstall windows SP w/sp3 but all I could get is that popup saying; this copy of windows must be reactivated, etc. but nothing happened after I put the disc in. Is that something I can do off of safe mode? As I said before, my brother-in-law can play his games off of safe mode and I'm wondering too, how can he play off of safe mode and not normal. 

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:01 PM

It will be necessary for the system to boot from the CD. If that doesn't occur (assuming the optical drive is working OK), there will either be a keypress to choose the boot device (often listed on screen at start), or you'll need to enter the BIOS setup and temporarily alter the boot priority to have the optical drive first.

Is the disc a system restore disc belonging to the system? If it is and it's from a major manufacturer, it may be pre-activated and resolve that issue. If not, the fresh install will need to be activated anyway. Before proceeding with a fresh install of the OS, you should consider having in reserve the correct drivers for the hardware, and knowing the product key for the OS and any other installed software that requires one. You will of course also need the source media for that software, such as the games, to be re-installed.

Edited by Platypus, 03 December 2015 - 07:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users