Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High bandwidth usage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kuleke

kuleke

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hello

My laptop seems to be sending and recieving way too much data in the background. This only started when I got win10 too. I use NetWorx to keep track of how much data I use. Please help.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:12 PM

I would recomend downloading Malwarebytes Anti malware

Its free, and will look for malware

#3 SmokinHardDrive

SmokinHardDrive

• Banned
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:29 PM

This could also happen when you've got updates and background apps going all at once which can also chew up a lot of bandwidth in such a short matter of time.

#4 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

If enabled, you may want to disable p2p windows updates throught Configuration... Updates...

For more info read this.

#5 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:17 AM

Microsoft OneDrive can also cause this when it is updating!  When your bandwidth is struggling, check the OneDrive icon on the taskbar to see if it is updating?

#6 kuleke

kuleke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

I've turned off the p2p update thing. Killed OneDrive last week, no apparent effect. Is there some software that tracks how much data individual programs send and receive?

#7 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

Windows 10 has some monitoring tools accessible from task manager, which shows network traffic usage at multiple places. You can use, for instance, Resource Monitor that can be reached from the Performance Tab.

A simple third party tool is NetworkTrafficView. More complex tools for this task could be Wireshark, Message Analyzer, etc., but you should be good to go with the other tools first.

#8 kuleke

kuleke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:47 AM

Okay please what is svchost.exe, why is it downloading so much and how can I stop it? I've turned off the Background Updating thing in services but its still using obscene amounts of data.

#9 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

If not malware, bandwith usage involving svchost process and/or BITS service probably due to updates and telemetry.

svchost.exe (Service Host, or SvcHost) is a system process that hosts multiple Windows services.
identifying component services can be more difficult for end users.

Problems with various hosted services, particularly with Windows Update, get reported by users (and headlined by the press) as involving svchost.

Because svchost.exe is used as a common system process, some malware often uses a process name of "svchost.exe" to disguise itself. The original system file svchost.exe is located in C:\Windows\System32 folder. Any file named "svchost.exe" located in any other folder can be considered as malware.

Wikipedia

More info on what is it and how to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process

Services are Windows programs that start when Windows loads and that continue to run in the background without interaction from the user. For the most part Windows services are executable (.EXE) files, but some services are DLL files as well. As Windows has no direct way of executing a DLL file it needs a program that can act as a launcher for these types of programs. In this situation, the launcher for DLL services is SVCHOST.EXE, otherwise known as the Generic Host Process for Win32 Services. Each time you see a SVCHOST process, it is actually a process that is managing one or more distinct Windows DLL services.

You can check some Windows 10 settings consuming bandwidth (yau may have already configured some of them):

• Turn live tiles off (start menu → right clicking on the tiles you want to turn off)
  • Settings → Network & Internet (take a look at the settings in this section, and also under Advanced Options → Metered connection)
  • Settings → Updates & Security (take a look at the settings in this section, and also under Advanced options → Choose how updates are delivered). If you have a limited data plan but multiple computers in your network you can set it to get/send updates to PCs on the local network.
  • Settings → Privacy (all the way down from General to Background Apps)
  • Settings → Accounts → Sync your Settings
  • One Drive (Task Manager → Startup tab)
  • Cortana (clicking on the search field → Settings)

Other network monitoring tools:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users