Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Programs and Features" does not launch in Windows 7 Professional

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

referred to this forum by my helper from a thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum [ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/597311/repost-kaspersky-rescue-disk-warns-of-packedwin32kraphc-trojan/page-2#entry3876361 ]

As per the most recent logs, it appears that the Trojan infection that I may have had has been cleared. However  there is a continuing problem in that 'Programs and Features' out of Control panel will not launch, so I cannot get to 'Add/Remove Programs' either from that pathway or by entry into the Search bar from the Start button.This is true in the main user profile and others resident on the PC, even one just created to account for a corrupted profile and to allow for transfer of files to the new profile.

Sfc /scannow has been run several times to repair system files to no good result as well as earlier attempts to reset to an earlier restore point. Chkdsk has also been run and supposedly all questionable clusters have been repaired.

Blocking access to 'Add/Remove Programs' is often a sign of infection, but scans say that I am clear. System restore procedures have also not been effective.

Any thoughts other than a reinstall of the OS? I've been trying to clear this for almost 3 weeks and to no final resolution...the above thread only accounts for the last week...

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Lefty

System Specs from Zoek log:

==== System Specs ======================

Windows: Windows 7 Professional Edition (64-bit) Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Memory (RAM): 16383 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ II X4 640 Processor
CPU Speed: 3084.4 MHz
Sound Card: Speakers (High Definition Audio | 
Digital Audio (HDMI) (High Defi | 
Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High De | 
Display Adapters: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series | ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series | ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series | RDPDD Chained DD | RDP Encoder Mirror Driver | RDP Reflector Display Driver
Monitors: 2x; Acer S201HL(Analog) | HL227D | 
Screen Resolution: 1067 X 600 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
CD / DVD Drives: 3x (X: | Y: | Z: | ) X: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-222AB  | Y: ATAPI   iHAS424   B      | Z: WD      Virtual CD 1110
Ports: COM1 LPT Port NOT Present. 
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C:  488.3GB | D:  94.7GB | E:  94.7GB | F:  85.8GB | G:  79.4GB | H:  88.4GB | I:  1863.0GB | K:  1062.2GB | L:  390.6GB | M:  409.6GB
Hard Disks - Free: C:  113.5GB | D:  29.3GB | E:  83.6GB | F:  56.6GB | G:  73.3GB | H:  86.9GB | I:  89.3GB | K:  553.4GB | L:  76.1GB | M:  129.9GB
Manufacturer *: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 08/16/32 | 030811 - 20110308
Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time
Motherboard *: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD EVO
Language: ENU 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

You could try Win 7 Repair Install, Illustrated, dc3 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527421/bleeping-laptop-with-corrupt-windows-7-files/?p=3315974, since any homebuilt system either has a valid install disk or falls on the illegal, unofficial side of the street, with few exceptions.

Louis

#3 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

Seems like there still might be remnants of malware on your system.  How did you initially remove it?  Did you run Malwarebytes or something like that?  

#4 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

@hamluis: totally legal, been MS verified several times over the last 4 years, did try a repair at one point to no good result, but will try again.

@dudage: keep suspecting lingering malware presence, but full system scans - 6TB in all- with Trend House Call, MS Remote scan, Panda, Malwarebytes etc etc - see link to the other forum for the gory details  8-( , all came back clean, but can't explain what appears to be malware exploit. Will continue with repair install next.

Thanks all.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:04 AM

Malware...and the removal of such...may often involve other files being damaged.  Since you are talking about basic Windows functions, it makes sense to me to try either the sfc /scannow command or an O/S repair.  I favor the O/S repair because it involves fresh files from a source other than the hard drive which had infection problems.

Louis

#6 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:46 PM

As per your recommendation, I ran  the Windows 7 Repair from the original installation disk and it found nothing to repair? Rebooted but still no Programs and Features or Add/Remove Progs. Tried as well in Safe mode, same result... sometimes could not load the desktop of the main profile...system is still highly unstable. Tried various restarts both with and without an internet connection... sometimes in launching Chrome it freezes. IE, not so much.

System still is highly unstable and slow, previous A-V scans have been negative, but this all seems symptomatic of malware since system repair has been ineffective...

What to do next...

Thanks

Lefty

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:11 AM

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:37 AM

Its either a Quick Fix 1 Day / Or scans - Logs - Interpretation - and Trial and Error of Fixes  = More than One Day - Possibly a Week or More.

Decide your best Option that suits you , i recommend......

1 / Backup all C:\ files you need ...Photos Docs etc.

2/  Disconnect all Drives but leave C:\ Drive Connected.

3/  Reinstall Windows 7 / Drivers / Windows Updates / Load Programs etc.

4/  Create a Backup Image of C:\ Drive to an external Clean Drive. { Acronis or Minitool Partition Wizard / Clone.

5/  Reconnect all your other internal drives or one at a time and test PC for any issues and evaluate.

6/ This should eliminate and Viruses / Malware.

7/  If any Viruses Show or Malware - check those other Drives Thoroughly.

Edited by Havachat, 04 December 2015 - 03:40 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,871 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

For a check for malware...you should initiate a new topic in the Am I Infected forum here at BC.  That would resolve, positively or negatively, any suspicions of such.

Louis

#10 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

Thank you Louis, but this is from one of the replies that I got from the 

• Security
  •  Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs
  • forum from nasdaq: No malware was found on your Zoek log. I suggest you create a new profile.
  • And all the preceding A-V scans found no infection since the original system scan using Kaspersky Rescue disk that identified and supposedly removed the  'Packed.Win32.Krap.hc' trojan. That's what led me to this forum as creating a new profile did not allow access to 'Add/Remove Programs' or to the 'Programs and Features' from Control Panel...but the Repair Installation did not find anything to repair. So, no malware found and nothing was repaired...? What to do next? I will try some of the suggestions from jhayz and havachat unless you have a better idea... Otherwise it may come to formatting the HD and suffering thru a re-installation etc etc. This has been going on for almost a month now and I don't know how many more repair/scan scenarios are left to try  Thank you, Lefty

Edited by Lefty Widdagun, 04 December 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:53 PM

- After removing malware it's Always a good idea to run "Tweaking's Windows Repair".

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

It will put A LOT OF things to their default state. Follow the instructions provided. Disable internet & antivirus.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 01:18 AM

Try also searching here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/77679-programs-features-enable-disable.html

Tekken

#13 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:32 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions.

@ jhayz; Tried to use the registry tweak from sevenforums to restore access to Programs and Features, but security scan of a download to file would not download it or selecting 'Run' security scan runs on and does not load it...So? Is it being blocked by a malware scanning/blocking process?

Ran Speccy, that did run; results at http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZEarmX0OsizeGR5msuOcjRC  did you want me to post the whole thing here? Will do if that's the instruction.

@Willy22 ran the Tweaking.com repair: no better result; still no access to  Programs and Features or add/remove programs from the Search at Start button - will not load either

Since my last post the other additional steps have been taken: 1) ran rkill64 - nothing found 2)zoek.exe and generated that report; it is available for posting if that is relevant again, as it had been run previously with nothing found [in the Removal Logs forum] 3) Ran Malwarebytes Anti-rootkit: nothing found 4) After running chkdsk and booted up received an error message that showed that wermgr.exe application error and MS Security Essentials will not launch. Rebooted to a clean boot...? Then did start Security Essentials. 5) Installed and ran Toolbox Repair - failed several time to run: hash mismatch from the developer site; then downloaded from the Major Geeks site and it downloaded and launched without issue - no improvement, still no Program and Features or add/remove programs. And again all A-V scans find nothing, yet behavior suggest malware presence, but I can't find it...

@havachat  This has been now another several hours just these past two days and your recommendation is becoming more viable...

Any other ideas folks... short of a 12 gage at 20 feet...

Thanks

Lefty

#14 Lefty Widdagun

Lefty Widdagun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:57 PM

As well, just set up the 'God Mode' folder [ http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/enable-godmode-in-windows/ ] for easy access to utilities... and none of the program and features or add/remove programs features are available from that selection either... got some serious blockage here...!  

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:41 PM

@ jhayz; Tried to use the registry tweak from sevenforums to restore access to Programs and Features, but security scan of a download to file would not download it or selecting 'Run' security scan runs on and does not load it...So? Is it being blocked by a malware scanning/blocking process?

Try disabling your antivirus firewall and protection mode and or safemode with networking in particular with the downloading and not loading of certain windows feature. A clean boot may also be another option.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users