Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password problem networking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RobRoss

RobRoss

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:43 PM

I got a used hp mini with windows 7 starter on it. After adding it to my home network I tried to access the drive to transfer some files but it's asking me for a password. The guy I bought it from can't remember the password so, how can I reset the password or work around this issue? Please be aware that I'm not talking about the router password nor any wifi password but the password to access file sharing etc.

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

So a guy sold you a PC with a hard drive that was password protected that he knew he didn't remember the password to?  What a douche....

If you're feeling lucky, you could try a password cracker (download onto a flash drive preferably), however just remember this is the seedy underbelly of the internet - it's a tool that hackers use so it's tougher to trace the origin of these tools, which means a potential minefield of malware, viruses, etc. that may harm your computer.

Your best bet might be these steps:  http://www.geckoandfly.com/4093/unlock-and-recover-hard-drive-password-hard-disk-password-removal-tool/

I've used Hiren's boot CD myself and it's good for getting yourself out of a jam like this.  

Assuming you have access to the Administrator account, you could login as the Administrator and there's likely an option from there to remove it....unless he password protected that too, in which case you're SOL for that.....

Ultimately it may be better just to delete the partition and install a fresh copy of Windows on your hard drive - that's what I'd do - unless you have another hard drive with Windows 7 lying around you can just swap into the system.

I always buy my PCs brand new to avoid situations like this myself but ultimately any data on the hard drive is of no use to you if it comes from the previous owner so the best option might be to just blow it up and start over right off the bat.   

#3 RobRoss

RobRoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

I'm not sure if the "hard drive" password you're talking about and the file sharing over a network password are the same thing... He doesn't remember ever having to use any password to access his computer and he never had it on a home network where he needed to transfer files to another computer. I can see the computer on my network but when I try to open a folder on it from a different PC, it asks for the password.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

If they are both Win 7 systems...that's the way MS planned networking to function, using the homegroup.

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/windows-network-sharing/lesson3/all/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users