Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1TB of BluRay movies. Can they be recovered?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 miba54

miba54

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hi. I accidentally formatted my 1TB hard drive which mostly contained BluRay movies. There was absolutely no damage to the drive. I tried Recuva and EASUS but I didn't get very good results. Is there any chance these files can be recovered with a data recovery software or are movies too hard to recover? Also another question, if softwares don't help, can data recovery devices bring back these kind of files?

(The hard drive's model is WD15EARS)

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:32 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

Hopefully you did not try recovering files back to the 1TB drive. I am assuming this drive was in an external enclosure as this is posted in the External Forum.

Download Partition Wizard here. Use the Partition Recovery Scan. If the Quick Scan does not find the partition then use the Full Scan which will take quite awhile to do. Click the box next to the partition(s) is finds and double click. If you see your files then select Finish. If you see multiple partitions only select the one that has all your files.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

Data Recovery devices are very expensive. A professional data recovery service can charge between $600 to $1000 dollars for recovery.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

MiniTool Power Data Recovery, Restorer Ultimate, Steller Data Recovery, R-Studio are just a few of the power-houses that can probably help you get your movies back.  There will be patience and elbow grease needed on your part, bringing back movie by movie by movie.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 miba54

miba54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

MiniTool Power Data Recovery, Restorer Ultimate, Steller Data Recovery, R-Studio are just a few of the power-houses that can probably help you get your movies back.  There will be patience and elbow grease needed on your part, bringing back movie by movie by movie.

I think I'm going to try R-Studio but I have a question. Do I need another 1TB of free space to recover files with R-Studio or can I just use the formatted harddrive?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

You do not want to recover files back to the drive you are trying to recover files from. That will cause you to lose all of your files. If Partition Wizard finds the Partition and rebuilds the partition table then you would not need a new drive. Have you tried recovering files back to the formatted drive with Easeus?

#6 miba54

miba54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

You do not want to recover files back to the drive you are trying to recover files from. That will cause you to lose all of your files. If Partition Wizard finds the Partition and rebuilds the partition table then you would not need a new drive. Have you tried recovering files back to the formatted drive with Easeus?

No I did not. Only thing I did with Recuva and EASUS was scan the hard drive. Can I use TestDisk to rebuild the partition table or is Partition Wizard different from TestDisk? 

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

Ahhh, that's what I meant...try partition rebuilding first as suggested by others; if nogo, then onto much more scanning.  The software I was suggesting all include a form of partition rebuilding.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 miba54

miba54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

Ahhh, that's what I meant...try partition rebuilding first as suggested by others; if nogo, then onto much more scanning.  The software I was suggesting all include a form of partition rebuilding.

I'm sorry if I'm bothering you guys with this flood of questions but I have no technical information on data recovery so please bear with me. Will I require another 1TB of free space to do the partition rebuilding or is it different from the actual recovering?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:10 PM

Testdisk does the same as Partition Wizard but is more powerful in what it can do. Do a Quick Scan with Testdisk and if it finds a partition highlight it and then press the "P" key. You should see your files. See Testdisk step by step.

Another program that people have had good success with but is expensive is Diskinternals Partition Recovery.

Edit: If Testdisk or Partition Wizard can rebuild the partition table then you do not need additional space. If you plan on using Easeus or Minitools Data Recovery then yes, you would need another drive with at least the amount of free space as the data you are recovering.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2015 - 03:12 PM.

#10 miba54

miba54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Testdisk does the same as Partition Wizard but is more powerful in what it can do. Do a Quick Scan with Testdisk and if it finds a partition highlight it and then press the "P" key. You should see your files. See Testdisk step by step.

Another program that people have had good success with but is expensive is Diskinternals Partition Recovery.

Edit: If Testdisk or Partition Wizard can rebuild the partition table then you do not need additional space. If you plan on using Easeus or Minitools Data Recovery then yes, you would need another drive with at least the amount of free space as the data you are recovering.

Currently I have this screen in front of me: http://imgur.com/vyzZm1B

If I press P, I get this page: http://imgur.com/wjd49W6

And when I press the Right arrow key, I get this: http://imgur.com/umu1cti

And pressing the Right arrow key doesn't take me any further. There are only 2 pages. So what does this mean? Are these all the files it could find? Is everything gone?

Edited by miba54, 01 December 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

That is not good. Was this after a Deeper Search? If this is after a Quick Search relaunch Testdisk and do a deeper search. Be prepared for a long wait.

If doing a Deeper Search gives the same result then the only way to recover your files is using Easeus or some other recovery software. You would need to recover he files to a drive with the required free space.

Disk Internals Partition Recovery can be downloaded as a Demo. This would give you an idea on what it can recover.

Edit: I noticed that Testdisk scanned the drive as sda. Usually sda is your boot disk and an external would be labled sdb if there was only one internal drive. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 December 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#12 miba54

miba54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

That is not good. Was this after a Deeper Search? If this is after a Quick Search relaunch Testdisk and do a deeper search. Be prepared for a long wait.

If doing a Deeper Search gives the same result then the only way to recover your files is using Easeus or some other recovery software. You would need to recover he files to a drive with the required free space.

Disk Internals Partition Recovery can be downloaded as a Demo. This would give you an idea on what it can recover.

Edit: I noticed that Testdisk scanned the drive as sda. Usually sda is your boot disk and an external would be labled sdb if there was only one internal drive. 

This was a quick search, I'm doing a Deeper Search at the moment.

In the first page, I'd had a screen like this: http://i.imgur.com/eZh4WcY.jpg and I selected disk /dev /sda. Should have I selected Drive D? (1397 GB is the one I want to recover)

Edited by miba54, 01 December 2015 - 05:04 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,640 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

No, sda is okay. I am just wondering why Testdisk labeled C: as sdb and not sda, Hopefully a Deeper Search will give you somthing.

#14 miba54

miba54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:39 AM

No, sda is okay. I am just wondering why Testdisk labeled C: as sdb and not sda, Hopefully a Deeper Search will give you somthing.

So the Deeper Search has just ended and I got the same screen and the same results. The partition is highlighted in green but the files are gone, right? 

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

So the Deeper Search has just ended and I got the same screen and the same results. The partition is highlighted in green but the files are gone, right? 

If the files have not been overwritten, recovery is possible, however, it could become a long time-consuming process, unless there is another faster answer forthcoming by the BC regulars here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users