Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Essentials updates

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 philfil

philfil

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

I have recently installed Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) on Windows 7. To my surprise, I discovered that updates are delivered not just when requested via MSE but also as an optional update via Windows update. I have downloaded some through Windows update but that seemed to cause a few problems - Windows update stopped working (error code 80244019), for example. That probem has now been sorted out, but I still wonder why these MSE updates appear in Windows update as optional updates. Should one simply ignore them and download using MSE instead?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:50 AM

That is normal. Windows will automatically download and install MSE updates once a day for you.

MSE (and Windows Defender) gets defintion updates via Windows Updates or by manually downloading the definitions. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 philfil

philfil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:55 AM

That is normal. Windows will automatically download and install MSE updates once a day for you.

Thank you. I am a little surprised that Windows will install them automatically as they are designated as "optional" updates. If it does do that however, I have no complaints.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:22 AM

You're welcome.

#5 philfil

philfil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

This is just an "update" on this topic:

On the user interface of MSE, it is stated that "definitions are updated automatically". However, having played around with it on Windows 7 for a short while, it appears that MSE is only updated automatically provided that Windows update is set to download and install updates automatically. It the Windows update is set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" or "Never check for updates (not recommended)" then Security Essentials won't update automatically at all. I mention this as some people who use Microsoft Security Essentials might have Windows update disabled or partially enabled so as to avoid Windows 10 upgrade attempts. Under these circumstances, the user interface can indicate that it is up to date when it isn't.

Edited by philfil, 03 December 2015 - 12:07 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

Yes a lot of folks do choose the option to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users