Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cascading Wirelessly Bridged Routers?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Supermitchell2

Supermitchell2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:20 AM

Hello, I've been looking for a way to connect two routers together so that the second router receives internet from the first but is it's own subnetwork. From what I've read on the internet, there are two options. I can either use an ethernet cable to connect the WAN of one router into the LAN on another router, or I can connect two routers together as a bridge to act as a range extender. Is there a way to make a subnet that is connected wirelessly? I currently have one Netgear N600 WNDR3800 and am looking for a second model that can do what I am asking above.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 December 2015 - 03:57 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:55 AM

You simply connect the 2nd router via its wan port to a first routers lan port.  Then you put a different subnet on the 2nd router lan than the first routers lan.

What is it you are trying to accomplish with the 2nd subnet?

#3 Supermitchell2

Supermitchell2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

All I want on the second subnet is a network with working internet, preferably no slower than 10Mbps (I have 100Mbps download/upload). I am going to have a few linux servers and possibly a raspberry pi beowulf cluster connected to the second network, and I want these on a separate network that is encapsulated within the main network (a subnetwork). I want this because it makes it significantly easier for me to network without the hassle of having printer addresses cluttering my screen. What you said was right, but I need to connect the 2nd router via its WAN port to the 1st router's LAN port wirelessly. This is because I want to have one router upstairs that has its own network with a few computers connected, and I want to have another router downstairs that has everything in the house connected to its LAN, including the other router. I do not have the options to do this with a cable, so is there another way to do this? I guess what I'm asking is how to create a wireless range extender that instead of extending first router it makes a subnetwork that is connected to the LAN of the first.

Also please note that I am sorry if I didn't make the forum post correctly, or if my question is confusing. This is my first time using a forum.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

" 1st router's LAN port wirelessly."

Physically impossible.  What you are asking for is to connect the two routers wirelessly.  The second router has to support this.

You do understand that you will not be able to admin the 2nd routers network from the first routers network given different subnets?

#5 Supermitchell2

Supermitchell2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:24 AM

I completely understand the fact that the second network will have different settings because it is a subnet. This is actually what I want to accomplish. I want this, but I want it done wirelessly. What would this be called so I can go gather more information? Is it just cascading 2 routers wirelessly? I cant seem to find any information on that.

#6 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

The best scenario for this is to have AP (Access point) connecting to the other router via Wireless.

There are routers with this option.

As Supermitchell2 said you need to use different range of subnet, SSID and Wireless channel on the routers.

That can be achieved with cables as well but I believe you was looking for Wireless option.

If you provide me with the routers models I can be more specific about settings.

Cheers,

Andy

#7 Supermitchell2

Supermitchell2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

The first router is a Netgear N600 WNDR3800 and the second router is a Netgear N600 WNDR3400. They would be within wireless range of eachother.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR3400V1/WNDR3400_UM_31AUG2010.pdf

Here is your manual for the Netgear N600 WNDR3400 .  Start with page 5-23

#9 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

The first router is a Netgear N600 WNDR3800 and the second router is a Netgear N600 WNDR3400. They would be within wireless range of eachother.

To be honest this routers do not have the ability to connect via wireless and support DCHP the same time.

If you are able to connect them with cable will be really easy to set them.

But if you are not able to connect them via cable, you shall get a Access Point between them or use something like TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal.

Cheers,
Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users