Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell xps 630i

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pontiacgp

pontiacgp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:41 PM

hi guys I'm new here!!! I still have my trusty dell xps 630i,its suited my purposes until now,its pretty much stock, 2 Seagate barracuda 500 gig hard drives.4 gig ram, intel core 2 duo e8200 2.6ghz,says extreme but not sure, I plan on putting 8 gig ram that's the max unless someone has tested more also a new graphics card,i need help with finding a good one that will work with my stock mobo, has the ati readeon hd 3870, so anything better than that,im wanting to play h1z1 and black ops 3 and a few others also wanting to max out my cpu,im wanting the best I can put in it, I'm looking at these q8300,q8400,qx6700,qx6850 or maybe another,maybe overclock it also,not sure,anyone care to help me?? I know the system is old

Edited by pontiacgp, 30 November 2015 - 10:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

I wouldn't try to upgrade that old a pc. I would build a new pc, as your upgrade choices are very limited, and it would be cheaper to build a pc. How big is your budget for a new pc?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 pontiacgp

pontiacgp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:49 AM

I'd say around 650,maybe a little more,I've actually got a MSI board with a i5 iirc but only 2 gig ram and no graphics card in a older thermatech case,dosent look too bad,I just love my dell 630i case,i was just gonna push it till it dies,so with a quad core and 8 gig ram and a decent graphics card it wouldn't play newer games? I've seen people with various CPU say they can overclock and still keep up with i5s and even i7s,not sure if its true or not,I'm not a extreme hard core gamer but I'm starting to pick up on it,im itching to play h1z1,I'll post the specs on the new board tomorrow,its not a full atx so I know it won't go in my xps housing

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

You may be able to reuse the hard drives, optical drive, and possibly the case and maybe the power supply if the chassis is standard ATX and power supply is sufficient for GPU's.

Assuming you can reuse all of those components above, here's an idea...

Motherboard:  GIGABYTE GA-Z170-HD3 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 - This is part of the Skylake platform, you can upgrade this for a while.  $114

CPU:  Intel Core i5-6600 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1151 - One of the newer CPU's on the market.  If you want to overclock, the "K" version would be the one to get, but it is more expensive.  $229

RAM:  Patriot Signature Line 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 - This is a single stick and the motherboard can take more.  $49

OS:  Windows 10 Home Premium Full Retail USB (Includes 32-bit and 64-bit versions) - You need this.  $119

GPU:  GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 960 - Not super high-end, but still a very capable card.  If you want a bit more power, you can get the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970.  $194

Total Cost:  $709

3939.png

#5 pontiacgp

pontiacgp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

Not to bad at all,plus max ram is 64 gig,i can also save cause I've got the windows covered and my PSU is the dell 750 watt that came with it,thanks for your help

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

With Windows, make sure you are either using an unopened System Builder/OEM copy or are moving a full, boxed retail copy from another PC.  Those System Builder/OEM versions have their licenses tied to the motherboard, but you can move the full versions.

You may be able to take advantage of holiday deals to lower the price of the components even further.

3939.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users