Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking about doing a recovery but has ???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:46 PM

My lap top was hit with ransom ware, I went through the fixes found here on BC.  Got rid of the pain but picked up a glitch, TsVk had me try an idea and will wait for a bit before I pull the plug, the lap top has been running fine for four years with a ton of time on it maybe time!

I am wondering how I will be able to get past Win 10 sneaking up during the recovery, once it is up I have all the fixes to keep out but still a bit worried.  No way do I want that OS on any of my machines, so far all my close friends that did not take my advice to avoid 10 have had issues some major.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

I am wondering how I will be able to get past Win 10 sneaking up during the recovery

You probably mean during windows updates. Set the OS to notify you & not download. When the updates finally show up uncheck & Hide update KB3035583, as that is the Get Windows 10 update. You should also have a look at GWX Control Panel {Highly Recommended} here: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/  This is a free tool that can remove and disable the 'Get Windows 10' notification area icon on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Newer versions can also disable 'Upgrade to Windows 10' behavior in the Windows Update control panel.

Also Win7 updates of late can seem to take forever. Have a look at the WSUS Offline Update tool. Saved me considerable time when I did a clean W7 install on my laptop recently. Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE

A good WSUS guide & download links here: http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/

Edited by saw101, 30 November 2015 - 11:32 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:35 AM

Dont know what the Glitch is , or if you plan to try and keep cleaning until back to normal.

If you do eventually do a Recovery and all goes well , then just clone the drive to an external drive or even an SSD and when things go bad , swap the drives over ,  Or have a Backup Image of C:\ Drive externally , i never trust a Recovery Partition as a saviour.

This will save you having to do all the updates each time.

Edited by Havachat, 01 December 2015 - 03:35 AM.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:43 AM

I have the spinner that was replaced by the current SSD so I am good as far as a backup, just not harpy with going through the drill of avoiding 10.  We should not be forced to accept something we do not want, I have been with MS since 2.0 only missed a couple of editions but all done willingly being pushed to move on rots.  Maybe a fix will pop up if not Alt F10, maybe even a shot at Linux!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Ok went toToshiba site to check on possible recovery options no repair just a full -0- out was possible, stopped to think about a full rebuild thought for moment screw that!  The spinner that came out of the laptop was running perfect when I swapped to the SSD, no brainer pulled the SSD out and popped the spinner back into the LT.  It was out for 511 days, I went and updated everything Secunia did half the job I did the rest took about 1-1/2 hour.  I formatted the SSD and am most the way through the clone, I will pop it back in life will be good again.  My spinner will go back on the shelf awaiting anything else that may pop up.  Thank fully it has been many years since anything nailed me that was not easily fixed!  Almost done will do the swap and fire it shortly!

Phil

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:49 PM

I was nice to get back to a 25 second boot from near 3 minutes it takes the spinner, all is back to normal :bananas:

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:35 AM

I think you Solved most yourself with Patience and Thought.

Good to hear anyway that your back to Normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users