Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive hold 500 but reads full at only 160 gigs that i can find.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Frankie777

Frankie777

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Hi i use my laptop for DJ'ing with Virtual DJ software. My hard drive holds 500 gigs but I only have 160 gigs of music. I am not sure if I have  a mirror image of it in a sub-folder.I am hesitant to delete  a sub folder in fear of losing all my music and data base for my VDJ program.I had Norton N360 ,a free program from comcast witch I deleted after i heard that Norton backup may use the storage for a mirror image ( ?) Can you help me clear some of the storage off my hard drive ? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

If I understood correctly, purchase an external usb HD, and copy over from the internal HD to the external HD.  When you're satisfied the recepient HD has everything and in tiptop shape, delete that data from the internal HD.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:39 PM

You can use the free program TreeSize to explore your drive and find out exactly what is taking up the space.

#4 Frankie777

Frankie777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:16 AM

Thanks for the reply.I DL treesize already and I am still working on reading that.It shows duplicate files of my music on the C drive and also in my library.Both at the same size.I tried deleting files from one and it deletes them from both.The trouble with clearing the laptop is that I have to figure out how to save all the data in the VDJ software so I don't have to rename most of my files.Once I do that I think I will do a cleaning.Still wish I can figure out how to clear 200 gigs off this laptop without clearing the hard drive. Thanks guys.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:09 AM

Confused ? you need more free space how much do you have ? .....500G - 160G = about 300G and then WIN another 80G = avg 150-200G free.

Maybe a Cleanup of Temps / Restore Points / Unwanted Programs..etc.

Is the Music you have stored in a folder eg: My Documents / Music... and then the program VDJ collects from there to play ?

Or you have Imported the music files to VJD Program , because if you delete from VDJ there may be a prompt to say delete from HD also.

Similar to Itunes setup or others as a playlist , can be confusing , look around your file structure and then decide how to tackle it.

If you know where your main music is stored ? and all of it , then back that up to an external drive first before trying anything.

All programs can be reinstalled , operating system can be reinstalled , but your Music is irreplaceable - so back it up - 

and regardless of duplicates etc ,  just back it up / you can sort them out later.

#6 sebasik

sebasik

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:49 AM

Duplicate Files can be one of the main reasons that your pc is taking too long to open files and games . Try DuplicateFilesDeleter program

#7 Frankie777

Frankie777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

I just ran treesize as administrator and found 260 gigs located in C:\N360_BACKUP\   I tried to delete but I have to log in as administrator to delete it. I am going to try that now. Does anyone have any experience with this situation involving Norton 360 from Comcast ? Thanks again for your replies and advice.

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:35 AM

Originally you stated "deleted Norton 360" 

Or did you actually use the Uninstall Feature within Control Panel - Programs / Features { Eg :Win 7 }

If you uninstalled Norton  i assume it would delete everything or prompt you to do so.

Or you can use this tool from Bleeping.com  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/norton-removal-tool/

Also i would still backup all your Music / Docs / Files etc if you havent done so yet.

And then delete manually any related folders or files pertaining to Norton that still remain.

If your using this VirtualDJ Program   http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/PDFManuals.html

I had a look at the manual and Data is Saved in.xml format within its created Folders

Therefor you could just copy those 2 Folders to a USb Stick as a backup of Tagged music etc.

If you have to reinstall VDJ just replace the 2 Folders from the USB back to appropiate folder.

VDJ Main Database

For the tracks stored in the primary internal Drive, VirtualDJ creates a database.xml file and a
VirtualDJ folder to save information for your created Favorite, Virtual and Filter folders in the
following location:
Name  Path database.xml & VirtualDJ folder
Windows : C:\Users\{Username}\MyDocuments\VirtualDJ folder

#9 Frankie777

Frankie777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:53 PM

Hi. Thanks for the reply and thanks for advising me on how to save all my work on the files in VDJPRO I deleted Norton 360 and then used treesize to find the file. It found it is under Norton360_BACKUP. I tried to delete it and a message error said I must have administrators permission (which I thought I was ) to delete. I then found out how to put administrator onto windows 7 and again opened treesize under Administrator and again it read "Must have admin. permission". I then went and reinstalled Norton 360 to see if I can then find the file in that and  it did not have the file there. So I am to believe that the only way to delete this file is to clear my laptop of all info? There is no other way to isolate this file and delete without having to clean my hard drive of all music and then down load it all once again hoping I cleared it of this file?

#10 Frankie777

Frankie777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

i am trying unlocker now to see if that works.

#11 Frankie777

Frankie777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

Wow a miracle. I used unlocker 1.9.2 .Deleted it . I hope I don't get any problems by using it on my laptop. It said use at your own risk.It may contain bugs, etc. May be just a disclaimer. I'll let you know if I have any issues. Until then,thanks for all your help & advice.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:29 AM

That was my next suggestion to try Unlocker { Its Ok to Use }.

Still do a backup as i suggested  - you just never know !

And run the Uninstaller for Norton 360 - i posted link. { Use Avast or Keep Norton if you wish }.

Did you then gain more space or not ?

If you need more help in Cleaning etc , someone may you help you with that by Posting Logs etc.

#13 Frankie777

Frankie777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hi Yes ,I gained 250 gigs. Wonderful. I have all my music on another laptop as backup and also backed up on two external hard drives. Thanks again for your advice.

#14 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:11 AM

Your Welcome : Good to hear.

#15 Tithi

Tithi

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:11 AM

First of all copy all of your data to an external hard drive.

I had faced the same kind of problem.

I did not useany software to solve this problem. I re-install Windows to get rid of this problem. You may also try.

Edited by Tithi, 04 December 2015 - 03:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users