Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU fan isn't spinning, even at high temps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 asdfologist0

asdfologist0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hi all, I hope you guys can help me out. Speccy_results.txt attached. I just got a new Sager NP8657 (Clevo P650RE3) from Xoticpc. Here is a summary of specs:

Windows 10

i7-6700HQ @2.6 GHz

GTX 970m 3gb

8 gb RAM

motherboard P65_P67RGRERA (U3E1)

I used MSI afterburner to monitor my temps/fps/usage and noticed that the GPU temp rises up to 88 C in 5 minutes when playing games on high settings. The problem is that the GPU fan is not automatically turning on when the GPU heats up. I don't hear it running at all.

This is what I've tried so far to troubleshoot:

• I tried HWinfo and Speedfan to monitor/control the fan, but the fan doesn't show up at all in either program. In afterburner the fan settings are grayed out and un-clickable. I read online that I could control fan speed in the BIOS. I didn't see any options for it in the boot setup menu.
  • I tried using the Clevo Control Center (press Fn + Esc). This gave me an option to custom set the start/stop temps for the fan, but the fan still didn't turn on at the specified temps.
  • I made sure my drivers were up to date with device manager and the Clevo website. http://www.clevo.com/en/e-services/download/ftpOut.asp?Lmodel=P6xxRx&ltype=9&submit=+GO+
  • I read online that I could press Fn +1 to toggle the fan to 100% speed. I tried it and I could hear the fan blowing loudly at max speed, but this doesn't solve the problem.The fan should be automatically scaling its speed with the GPU temperature. Maybe the fan itself is fine but it's a driver issue or something?

I'd really appreciate any input on this. Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Welcome,

Brand new and not working? I'd be going back to the vendor for a warranty replacement.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 asdfologist0

asdfologist0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, I guess that's the only way. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users