Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video output after several BSOD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kukaracha

Kukaracha

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hello everyone,

This was originally a BSOD thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/595650/windows-7-multiple-bsod-and-unstable-system/

As I was trying to fix things with the help of a very kind user (usasma), I was encountering more and more frequent BSOD.

To make sure it wasn't a software problem and to try to fix things, I did a clean install for Wndows 8.1 then upgraded to Windows 10 directly. I still encountered more and more BSOD until the end of last week, when my computer simply stopped sending a video output.

After one last BSOD, the computer booted up correctly, all fans and LEDs working, but no display. Tried using a different HDMI cable, tried rebooting, nothing.

Tried the screen on another device, it worked.

Took the GPU out, tried using the integrated GPU through HDMI and VGA, no results. Still no video output.

I'm guessing something that was messing my computer up died, but what could it be?

Here is the original message:

My computer is two years old, and it has always encountered problems, in varying degrees.
Those include:

• Random BSOD on boot up.

• Random BSOD when using it (less frequent).

• Disappearing programs - the shortcut sometimes disappears, sometimes it doesn't, and the files vanish.

• Visual bugs, especially when playing a game.

• Firefox crashes (often when watching a video).

• Firefox resets.

• Boots up, but unable to launch any sort of program.

Here are my specs:

Desktop
x64

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K (3.4 GHz)
GPU: VTX3D Radeon HD 7950 OC X-Edition, 3 GB
RAM: Kit Dual Channel DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport, 2 x 4 GB
MB: MSI Z77A-G45
Network: TP-Link TL-WN881ND
SSD: SSD Samsung Série 840 EVO, 250 GB, SATA III
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue, 1 TB
Power supply: Super Flower Golden Green, 550W

What can I do now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

Have you tried a different monitor?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kukaracha

Kukaracha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

I have, and still no video output !

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

Your motherboard has integrated video.  Pull the dedicated graphics card and see if the integrated graphics works.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Kukaracha

Kukaracha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

Yup I already checked that, doesn't work neither. Tried through HDMI and VGA, still no display.

The LEDs on the MB are on and the fans are working though.

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:58 PM

I would check for bad capacitors. I google search will bring up tutorials.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

If the onboard video won't boot then the MOBO is shorted somewhere after the LED monitor point.  A complete removal and inspection of the MOBO is needed and close attention to standoff placement and those possible shorting points.

#8 Kukaracha

Kukaracha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

Hello everyone,

After leaving this for some time (had too much work), I came back to it.

I took everything apart and tried finding the problem. Capacitors were fine, but I did find a couple of things.

Images here : http://imgur.com/a/aMiPO

Motherboard

Most things seemed fine, though there were some odd stains (image 2, center).

However, on the back, white stains everywhere (image 1).

CPU

Most of the thermal paste was dry, though some of it was... liquid ? Is it normal ? (Image 3)

Seemed fine, though it has some scratches and a larger one on the right hand corner. (Image 4)

Fan

Seems normal, but had a few dents. (images 5 and 6).

• What can I do now ? I don't have any spare hardware, but can I run some tests ?
  • Is there a way to find a list a shortlist of possible failures ? Can it be the CPU, the PSU, the Mobo ?
  • What is the best way to go ? Would it be cheaper to take my computer to a professional ? Am I better of buying a new Mobo anyway ? I was thinking of upgrading my computer and getting a new GPU too, but getting a couple of new components is going to be expensive.

Thanks to everyone for their help. : )

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

Your mobo looks as though it has had something spilt on it or it has been attacked by mold or possibly some sort of insect infestation. From your photos it looks as though you are using a liquid cooler. Have you lost any liquid from it ?

I would be inclined to dismount everything readily dismountable from the mobo, including - carefully - the CPU itself. Then dismount the mobo and wash it using lukewarm water with a drop or two of dishwashing soapand in it and a soft brush until it looks clean. Then give it a couple of rinses in clean water and finish up with a thorough rinse in distilled or de-ionised water. Shake it dry and leave it in a warm place until fully dry. Then re-assemble.

You will need to use new heat sink compound on any heat sink mating surfaces you have split in the dismantling process.

Check your CPU cooler carefully before you re-install it, and it does look as if it could do with a brush or blow out - it is a bit dusty.

From what has been written above it does sound as though the problem lies with your mobo. Those white tracings are not normal, so doing this cleaning may save you the cost of a mobo.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 17 March 2016 - 08:00 PM.

#10 Kukaracha

Kukaracha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:40 AM

Alright, I tried removing the stains with care, but more stains appeared.

I will be changing the CPU, mobo and GPU, and see if the problem is solved.

#11 Kukaracha

Kukaracha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:47 PM

Reporting in: I changed the motherboard, and everything is fine now. Thank you to everyone who has helped me! You're doing a wonderful job. Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users