Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power adaptor can not be determined - new install of Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Millhouser

Millhouser

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

Hello,

Immediately after downloading and installing Windows 10 on to my Dell XPS 15 laptop, I began seeing an error message on a black screen upon bootup:   "AC Power Adapter and wattage can not be determined.   Battery may not charge."    I am using the power adaptor that came with the laptop:   Model DA130 PE1-00.   From what I can determine, this is the requisite 130 W device.

The laptop originally was installed with Windows 7 and that is what it has been using until this Windows 10 install.

When I rest my cursor over the battery indicator icon on the taskpane at bottom of screen, I see this message:  "89% available.  Plugged in, not charging."   Yesterday, it read 92% charged.

Additionally, since the Windows 10 download, the fan has been running constantly.  (I imagine this is unrelated to the adaptor message.   If I should post that separately, please let me know.)

Purchased in fall 2011, the laptop, although a powerful one and seeming to run well, is no longer under warrantee.

I appreciate your guidance.

Debbie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:19 AM

Check at the Dell support website:  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=&l=&s=&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Enter the Service Tag number to get to your model - and see what Dell has to say about W10 compatibility.

For the detection of the Power Supply, Dell has software for this.

It has to be installed,and it has to work with W10 in order for it to work on your system.

Depending on how much you use it, it may be charging.

I'd check this by leaving it plugged in when you shut it off.

Then come back in a couple of hours to see if the % numbers have gone up.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Millhouser

Millhouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

Check at the Dell support website:  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=&l=&s=&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Enter the Service Tag number to get to your model - and see what Dell has to say about W10 compatibility.

Thank you for your help.

I went to the above website and entered the service tag number.   FYMJ2S1

The page stated: 

"Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected."

Given that, what do you recommend?   Should I uninstall?    How do I uninstall (I've never uninstalled an operating system)?

Right now, as best as I can tell, things seem to be working OK.   The only problems that I've detected are those involving the power adaptor and the constant fan use.   Is the W10 OS too much for my machine?

Again, thank you.   (PS.   I'll be out of town attending a conference for a few days.   I may not be able to respond promptly to your messages.)

Debbie

For the detection of the Power Supply, Dell has software for this.

It has to be installed,and it has to work with W10 in order for it to work on your system.

Depending on how much you use it, it may be charging.

I'd check this by leaving it plugged in when you shut it off.

Then come back in a couple of hours to see if the % numbers have gone up.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

As long as you can use the computer like you want to - don't worry about it.

As for the constant fan use, that's not a typical W10 problem.

Have you blown out the vents on the system with canned air?  DO NOT USE a vacuum or an air compressor as it can cause damage to the system.

If the problem continues after that, I'd suggest posting about it over in the Internal Hardware forums.

You do have to worry about reinstalling Windows at some point tho'

- is your copy of W10 permanently activated (run "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt

- do you have recovery media for your copy of W10?

- do you have recovery media for your copy of the original OS?  (if not, contact Dell for a copy).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Millhouser

Millhouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:01 PM

Hello,

Because I'm traveling, I've been unable to blow out the vents.   When I get home next week I can purchase canned air.   My question is "How do I blow them out?"   from the outside in?   Or do I need to remove any covers to access the vents?

In the meantime:

• My copy of W10 is permanently activated. 
  • I downloaded W10 online, so I do not have CD's with the operating system, but
  • I do have CD's with copies of Windows 7 (which I had been using).

With thanks,

Debbie

As long as you can use the computer like you want to - don't worry about it.

As for the constant fan use, that's not a typical W10 problem.

Have you blown out the vents on the system with canned air?  DO NOT USE a vacuum or an air compressor as it can cause damage to the system.

If the problem continues after that, I'd suggest posting about it over in the Internal Hardware forums.

You do have to worry about reinstalling Windows at some point tho'

- is your copy of W10 permanently activated (run "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt

- do you have recovery media for your copy of W10?

- do you have recovery media for your copy of the original OS?  (if not, contact Dell for a copy).

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Blow all the vents from all directions.

Don't overspin the fan(s) - you'll hear them spinning up when the canned air hits them.

What we're trying to do here is to get the fan to stop running constantly.

If we can do that, then it'll be OK to run W10.

If not, you'll have to revert back to W7 to see if that stops the fan problem (you can re-download and install W10 later on since it's permanently activated)

#7 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

Don't overspin the fan(s) - you'll hear them spinning up when the canned air hits them.

If not, you'll have to revert back to W7 to see if that stops the fan problem (you can re-download and install W10 later on since it's permanently activated)

I'm not positive but I think if you have a power supply the laptop doesn't notice it makes the fan spin constantly while powered on. I had a laptop do this once I bought a 3rd party universal power supply.

#8 Millhouser

Millhouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

I'm not positive but I think if you have a power supply the laptop doesn't notice it makes the fan spin constantly while powered on. I had a laptop do this once I bought a 3rd party universal power supply.

Thank you.

I'll be done traveling on Tuesday...   I'll work on blowing out the fans then.   I want to reiterate that I do NOT know how to take apart the laptop.   A technician worked on it a few times and it was a major production with lots of screws in hidden places in order to take the cover(s) off.   So before I do something damaging, am I to blow out the fans from OUTSIDE the casing?   That appears to me that I'll be blowing INTO the workings of the machine, rather than blowing out of the machine.   Do you want me to post this question elsewhere?

Apparently the adaptor cord IS charging the computer.   It is now reading as fully charged.   So despite the initial error messages, the adaptor seems to be working. 

And thank you for your patience while I'm on the road.

Debbie

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

I hate disassembling laptops - they are difficult and frustrating.

I avoid it at work (if possible).

You blow the vents from outside of the laptop.  The purpose of blowing from both directions is to loosen up the dirt so it can be blown out.

Unless you open it up, the only option is to blow INTO (actually you're blowing THROUGH the system) the workings of the machine.  .

FWIW - at work when we clean out laptops, that's exactly what we do.  We keep blowing in different directions until dust stops coming out of it.

It is too labor intensive (and expensive) to open it up - it takes up to an hour to open it, and another hour to close it (which works out to about $150 (US) if you charge $75/hour for your labor)

#10 Millhouser

Millhouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hello,

I have bought a can of air and blown it into the fans from every direction that I can find on the laptop.    Nothing seemed to happen...   at least immediately.    

So.   The adaptor seems to be charging the laptop.   That is resolved.

But the fans still seem to be running constantly.  

Is your advice to uninstall Windows 10?    I've never uninstalled an operating system before.   I'll await your advice.

Respectfully,

Debbie

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Hello Debbie,

Quite frankly, I have no idea why the fans keep running.

If you blew out dust, that might have stopped the fans - but that didn't happen.

My only thought here is that the Dell software that controls the fan isn't working in W10 - but that is just a guess on my part.

Uninstalling W10 may fix it - but it may not fix it.  Right now it's the only thing that I can think of (other than taking it to a shop for them to have a look at it).

If you've had W10 less than 30 days, you can revert to the previous OS

If it's been more than 30 days, you'll have to wipe the system clean and install W7

#12 Millhouser

Millhouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:06 PM

Hello BSOD Expert,

Thank you for all of your help.   I have reverted back to Windows 7, and the fans have stopped the constant running.    Perhaps this machine was just not up to handling W10.    I appreciate your efforts.

You may close this ticket.

With respect,

Debbie

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:20 AM

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for letting us know that this solved your problem.

I'm sorry that you had to resort to it - but sometimes systems just aren't built to handle the newest operating systems

Regards,

- John (aka usasma)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users