Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I re-install Windows 10 on my PC without buying a new copy of it?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Punchy71

Punchy71

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hello,

I was given a free desktop PC thats only three years old. It has Microsoft Windows 10 installed as the operating system. The owner who gave it to me said it came with Windows 8 installed and then he upgraded it to version 10 through a download from Microsofts website for free.

The hard disk on this PC still has some of the previous owners data on it as well as settings, customizations and so forth. Whenever I get a new (or used) computer I always like to perform a clean, fresh install of the operating system, wiping the hard disk totally clean of whatever came on it other than just pure OS (without any promotional software or pre-installed bloatware or what have you.).

I would kind of like to put Windows 10 back on it but I don't want to buy a new copy of Windows 10. So I'm wondering what my options are. I'm not really interested in Windows 8 but I'd go this route if I had to. I'm wondering if I can just download and re-install Windows 10 straight from Microsoft's website and do some kind of clean, fresh, install of Windows 10 directly on the PC's hard disk?...

If so, I've never done anything like this before. I'm used to installing Microsoft Windows straight of a CD or DVD disc and have never done an install from a download before. So I don't know how to do that...

Thank you

Edited by Punchy71, 30 November 2015 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Is there a product key for the OS originally on the computer?  Might be needed.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hi,

You can download Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 directly from Microsoft.

Windows 10 should auto activate if you install the same Edition, and Windows 8.1 should activate using the key stored on the BIOS/UEFI of the machine.

If you decide to install Windows 8.1 make sure you select the same edition as the information on the Windows 8 COA sticked on the machine.

windows-8-stickers.jpg

- Download Windows 8.1

- Download Windows 10

Edited by SleepyDude, 30 November 2015 - 12:23 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

That is something I have not gotten straight in my head.  The free upgrade/date there was a OS already installed so most of the necessary programming was already there. Win 10 just added the new parts in to make it win 10.

If you dl a win10 iso I would think you would get the bare OS and in the process of installing it would delete 8 and 10 and reinstall 10. minus any pre-installed software?

Am I correct on this or am I way off base?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

If you dl a win10 iso I would think you would get the bare OS and in the process of installing it would delete 8 and 10 and reinstall 10. minus any pre-installed software?
Am I correct on this or am I way off base?

http://www.howtogeek.com/197559/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc/

It depends of the option you select (Image 3) during the upgrade.

Edited by SleepyDude, 30 November 2015 - 12:51 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

A clean install or reinstall normally does away with any and all 3rd party programs, at the very least, such are disassociated, unlinked, etc.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

You have Windows 10 now and you want to do a clean install of Windows 10....right? Then you will not need to find any product key...as SleepyDude explained.

Easy to do that and create a bootable flash drive with 10 on it for any future need to reinstall.

Create a Windows 10 USB Bootable Flash Drive

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,977 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

Why not simply do a reset install? If you don't choose to keep your files it is, for all practical intents and purposes, a full clean install of the OS.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#9 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Windows 10 "Reset" will perform clean installation anyway link

Option What it does

Keep my files

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.

• Removes apps and drivers you installed.

• Removes changes you made to settings.

• Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you not replacing hard drive you can save some hustle.

#10 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

Why not simply do a reset install? If you don't choose to keep your files it is, for all practical intents and purposes, a full clean install of the OS.

Apologies the topic was not refreshed :) 

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

This is the fastest and easiest route to take. Make sure that the system is activated with an authentic copy of Windows 10 before you go this route. If it is not fully activated, then activate Windows 10 BEFORE the reset.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,977 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

Apologies the topic was not refreshed :)

Bulgaristan,

Not a problem.  This wouldn't be the first time that two people were suggesting (and typing) the same solution at the same time!

The Reset option is something I really like about Windows 10.

Attached File  Update&Security-Recovery2.jpg   75.28KB   0 downloads

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:14 AM

Just FYI - here's a great article by a friend of mine:   http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

In short, run "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) from an elevated (Admin) Command Prompt

If it says "permanent" then it's registered with the Microsoft servers (and you can reactivate on the same hardware when online)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Just FYI - here's a great article by a friend of mine:   http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

In short, run "slmgr /xpr" (without the quotes) from an elevated (Admin) Command Prompt

If it says "permanent" then it's registered with the Microsoft servers (and you can reactivate on the same hardware when online)

Thank you one more time, this is amazing article.

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

All you have to do is click on settings, click on update and click on activation.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users