Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow to display properties dialog

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hello,

Recently installed win10 64 bit on this dell latitude D630 and all has mostly been going well. (Upgrade from a new win7 installation. I have installed many OSs on this laptop, and they have always been speedy, including win10 32 bit.

Problem developed a few days ago that is fairly annoying. When I right click on a file, and then select "properties", the properties dialog window can take up to 20 seconds to appear. Never had this problem. Other flaw which I think is related: When I make a shortcut to something, it takes 10 seconds for the arrow to appear on the icon.

This was always something that happened instantly before. I've turned off some services like superfetch, but no change. The computer is not laboring, there is just this delay on a common operation. This OS was cloned from another smaller and slower (5400RPM )hard drive, and I think the original did not have this problem. Have to check, but I've done a lot since then. Now a 7200 RPM drive. This HD was always fast. Never gave a problem, so I'm thinking it's OS related. Everything else seems normal/no delays.

Any clues?

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 30 November 2015 - 10:29 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JesusP

JesusP

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

I have the same problem

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

Well at least I'm not alone.

I went back to the original installation before imaging, and it's doing it back then too.

I have no clue what is causing this.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 30 November 2015 - 05:54 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

Try this free program:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Disable all non-Windows shell extensions and reboot

If this fixes it, then you'll have to re-enable them by ½'s in order to figure out which one it is.

If it doesn't fix it, then there's other things to try:

There's a couple of things to try:
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about that for now.

2)  Uninstall your antivirus, then use the removal tool for it (there's a list of most of them here:  http://www.carrona.org/avuninst.html ), then install a freshly downloaded, W10 compatible version.  Some A/V have difficulties with the upgrade, so removing them and then reinstalling them will help how they run.

3)  Download fresh copies of the latest, W10 compatible audio and video drivers for your system.  Then uninstall the current versions from your system.  Then install the freshly downloaded versions.

4)  Get ALL available Windows Updates

5)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs from the manufacturer's website.  If some aren't compatible w/W10, check here about uninstalling them.

6)  Get ALL available, W10 compatible drivers/programs for any add-on hardware and any software that you installed previously.  If they aren't compatible, please uninstall them.

If this doesn't fix things, then post back so we can discuss the following options:
- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

The Reset with Keep My Files may help more than others, so it's worth a try also.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for your response.

I tried the powershell cmd as admin, and got this error back:

ForEach-Object : Cannot bind parameter 'RemainingScripts'. Cannot convert the "Get-AppXPackage" value of type
"System.String" to type "System.Management.Automation.ScriptBlock".
At line:1 char:119
+ ... ster "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}Get-AppXPackage | Forea ...
+                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: ( :) [ForEach-Object], ParameterBindingException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgumentNoMessage,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ForEachObjectCommand

I also tried shellexview yesterday, but no change. I disabled ALL non microsoft items, but the delay remains.

I am running without any 3rd party antivirus.

I will try uninstalling some device drivers next, but all of these worked fine for all previous versions of windows (Including windows 10!)

Unless MS snuck an automatic driver update in there somewhere.

I've spent 3 weeks on this installation, so I really don't want to just "start over".

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 30 November 2015 - 06:48 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:56 AM

I don't know much about PowerShell, so I can't really make anything out of the error message

Try the Reset with the Keep My Files option (it's like a Refresh in W8, or a repair install in W7 and earlier)

You may lose some programs, but it should leave a list of what programs it removed (on your Desktop)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

I'll try it on the original as a test. By the way, that option uninstalls just about every program I have installed....

edit: I did the reset, all updates, and the problem is gone. I still want to figure out what the problem is, since I have been installing programs and configuring for 3 weeks. Guess it's one of the installed programs.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 01 December 2015 - 11:51 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:08 PM

Interesting development..... The problem is gone in safe mode.

Gonna try to put a default graphics driver in as a test & see what that does.

Frank O' The Mountain

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:56 AM

Keep track while you test.  Try installing the programs one-by-one and test thoroughly before you install another one.

Be aware that it can be a combination that causes this (so installing program A alone may not cause it, or installing program B alone may not cause it - but installing A and B together may cause it).

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:34 PM

Well I'm totally disillusioned by Win10 at this point.

It was not driver related, and I really don't think it was software related either.

I activated the administrator account to see if it had the problem too, and it did not, BUT,

there were all sorts of errors, and I wasn't able to change anything as if I had no rights at all.

(Personalization, any system functions, etc)

I tried sfc, and it could not fix the problems. The error log was huge. I tried whatever MS tool

you use after that, and it did not fix this new problem. I even tried a 3rd admin account with no luck.

The OS itself is having major problems on this installation (which has been erased).

I have a lot of experience with windows OS's, and I've worked through some pretty hairy problems in the past.

After 3~4 weeks of intense configuration, this is a huge buzz kill, so I am going back to Win 8.1.

There is a point where it's not worth saving, and the threshold has been crossed.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 02 December 2015 - 02:39 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#11 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Update: I gave up on that installation, but I still had an image of it, so I threw it back on a disk just to try a few things, since I'm a glutton for punishment. When I disabled the windows search service, the problem went away. Thought someone might find this interesting, especially if they are experiencing this problem.

Funny thing is that I usually turn that service off on new installs, but I guess I forgot to.

The service description also states that it handles "properties caching".

It was doing a very poor job of that.....

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 06 December 2015 - 06:37 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users