Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint Cinnamon and Nemo will not write to USB Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

I have come across a bug in Linux Mint Cinnamon using Nemo as a file manager.

This bug appears to have resulted in a previous topic, which seems to have been left unresolved.  This is an 8 page post, which veers off occasionally.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564500/usb-flashdrive-not-working-right/

This bug first appears in Mint 15 "olivia" / Cinnamon 64-bit.

I found it in Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Cinnamon 64-bit, Linux Kernel 3.16.0-38-generic.

This bug may also appear in some versions of Ubuntu, also using Nemo.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1218076

If you are:

• Using a 64bit version of Ubuntu/Mint
  • Using Nemo as a file manager
  • Using a USB stick formatted in vfat/Fat32 by any OS (Linux or Windows)

And you get:

• Access denied when trying to write to a mounted USB flash drive, using Nemo cut/copy/paste.
  • Nemo may allow you to create new files and directories, with correct permissions, but paste is still denied when accessing newly created directories.
  • This may also occur with some USB mounted HDD's.

Other symptoms:

• Right Click -> Permissions shows that only the owner has read/write permissions, but the group and others are denied access.
  • Opening the file manager as root allows it to function normally.
  • Using the terminal window allows the user to read/write to the drive normally.
  • However, "chmod 755 -Rv *" fails on the mounted drive in terminal, as a user or root.

Summary:

• This bug appears to be mainly related to Nemo not reading file permissions correctly when the drive is first accessed.
  • This bug may occur using other file managers, but is most prevalent in Nemo.
  • This bug comes and goes with various updates and changes in the Kernel.
  • This bug can be easily mistaken for a bad drive, and result in lost time trouble shooting non existent hardware errors.

If the simple work around of accessing the drive in terminal with mv, cp, and rm works, then most intermediate to experienced users can do so without coaching.

However, I do not recommend using Nemo as root to newcomers.  The possibility of creating more problems exits when inexperienced users consistently use/abuse Super User.

Because of this bug, I have limited how I hand out copies of Mint Cinnamon to my friends and clients, as I feel that it is not something that a first time user should have to deal with when searching for a Windows alternative.

I am currently looking at replacement file managers for Nemo, as an alternative.  Suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

Naught 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for that Naught!  Can we just install another and just use that one, or does Nemo need to be uninstalled?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:12 PM

. . . install another . . . does Nemo need to be uninstalled?

Your welcome.

I found your thread after a search in the forum for the problem.  Do you still have the issue?  What did you do for a workaround?

I discovered the issue while trying to create a bootable usb at home last night.  I tried to drag and drop a mounted Win7 iso to the usb drive, and it refused.

I had never noticed the bug before.  I suspect that it was because most of my sticks are ntfs, not fat.  (But you want to use fat for a bootable usb.)

I do not have the issue with my office system, an identical computer.  I am running xUbuntu and the xfce desktop.  I also use Thunar on my office system.

I will try a few file managers, and uninstall the ones I don't want to keep.  No point in holding on to something that you don't use.  And if I want it again, apt-get does the job quick enough.

Cheers!

Naught

Edited by Naught McNoone, 30 November 2015 - 03:14 PM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:51 PM

Here is the first line Naught: 

I think this has happened because I tried to insert USB Flash-drive while OS was booting, O-boy I am a knuckle head.

I was inserting or pulling out a USB and it was damaged doing this, other than that never had an issue.  I was using Mint Mate at the time and had to delete all on that USB and re-format.  I didn't loose many files but some irreplaceable Wallpapers.

Not sure what this means but sure you will handle it:

I discovered the issue while trying to create a bootable usb at home last night.  I tried to drag and drop a mounted Win7 iso to the usb drive, and it refused.

Bootable W7 USB?  

A mounted iso?  Not sure about an iso that is mounted.  Maybe this is too simple, but I find in some of these file managers you cannot Drag and Drop in some instances.  You would need to Copy Paste, I forget why...and it can be done, but can't remember the exact situation.  I cannot drag and drop in KDE most of the time, and when I can...am in too much of a hurry to remember why it was possible.

I can tell you that I have been playing/wasting some time with these liveUSB's with linux distro's, and Unetbootin seems to be the best so far.  Haven't used UUI in a while, and won't do Persistence anymore, because with my pc anyhow...it is way to slow!  But with a straight Unet install these are booting up in 60seconds! and run really well on cheap usb's.  Can only imagine how they would do on a 3.0 drive with a slightly better usb.

Edited by pcpunk, 30 November 2015 - 04:56 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:44 PM

. . . Bootable W7 USB? . . . A mounted iso? . . . .

A friend needed it to repair Windows on a notebook with no CD\DVD drive.

To mount an iso image:     sudo mount /path/imagefile.iso /path/mountpoint -o loop

To unmount:     sudo umount /path/imagefile.iso

The iso image will mount as read only.  It has the advantage of seeing the directory/file structure in your file manager, as opposed to using the archive manager.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

Okay that is interesting.  I was thinking (because I don't understand) that anything that is mounted would make it difficult do manipulate, but I see what you are doing, and you have done it before on other machines.  I do notice this though, next time it happens I will slow down and think about it.  Might not be the same problem as you are having, but I do notice this all the time.

In KDE I have to look at the bottom of the File Manager when Dropping to see if I'm hoovering just right, or else the file will just drop to the usb and not the Folder. 

Edited by pcpunk, 01 December 2015 - 01:08 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

I have come across a bug in Linux Mint Cinnamon using Nemo as a file manager.

. . . I have limited . . . hand out copies of Mint Cinnamon . . . . looking at replacement file managers . . . 

I have spent some time examining this bug, and have drawn a couple of conclusions.

• Most users do not use vFAT\FAT32 usb sticks due to the file size limitations.  This also explains why it took me so long to notice.
  • When another application, other than Nemo accesses that drive first, then the problem does not occur, so again, it does not appear.
  • Most newbies trying Linux for the first time, create their USB boot sticks in Windows, so again, it does not appear
  • Not everyone using Mint elects to use the Cinnamon desktop, so again, it does not appear.

So, unless you actually use FAT32 sticks and drives, the whole issue is mute.

Mint Cinnamon is now back in my good books!   :thumbsup2:

As for Nemo, I will cover that in another post.  I have not found a comparable replacement, but I have found an excellent augment to it.

This bug is something to keep in your tech journal, though.  If you do run into it on a machine, it will save you a lot of aggravation.

Cheers!

Naught

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users