Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About that Windows privacy policy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TaraToronto

TaraToronto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

There's a post in the pinned section detailing Windows 10 privacy policy. Which includes a keylogger, and collection of browing history, but then the post says it's for the 'Technical Preivew' . I remember when the final build came out all of this came up again in the press but I didn't keep track of the details at the time 'cause I'm on Win7.

But now I'm thinking about upgrading to a Windows 10 PC and am wondering is this still the Windows 10 privacy policy? Are you able to easilly diasable data collection or this basically a Zero privacy OS? 'Cause if so I might go for a new PC with no OS and install Windows 7 on it.

A quote from the Windows Privacy post:

Sounds fair. But thats not all:

Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.

Thats getting a lot more personal now. Microsoft then go on to explicitly state the sort of things they will collect:

• information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility
  • use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing
  • open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes and use it for purposes such as improving performance
  • enter text, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.

Thanks for any feedback.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

Exactly...what post are your referring to in your opening sentence?

Louis

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:01 AM

The one pinned to the top of this very forum entitled, Windows 10 Privacy Policy Summary, by user Casey_boy.   Personally I wish this one would be taken down because the privacy agreement for production Windows 10 is somewhat different.

See the Microsoft Services Agreement, which includes links to the general Microsoft Privacy Statement and related materials.  Note well that the Services Agreement, which is relatively "privacy invasive" applies only to the list of defined services, not to the operating system as a whole.   If you don't use any of the listed services then it's the Microsoft Privacy Statement and/or any specific additional statements related to a given application that are binding.

Edited by britechguy, 30 November 2015 - 09:02 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

There are now a few (free) utilities that make adjusting the privacy settings to your own wishes fairly easy / automatic. The one I use is O&O ShutUp 10. I have no special knowledge and rely on the app to do as it claims. 

#5 harryhh

harryhh

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

I always wonder about downloading stuff onto my computer. How do I know what I've downloaded? How do I know what it really does? It's kind of terrible you have to be paranoid these days.

Can't keep up with the computer stuff anymore. It's getting beyond me.  :mellow:

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:04 PM

You don't "need to be paranoid these days" any more than you did in recent decades.

Doing a bit of homework, and it's not hard with web searching, will tell you virtually anything you want to know about virtually anything you download before you download it.

Everyone should be doing that homework.  A great deal of the heartache we see on these very forums is the result of people doing mindless clicking, and prior to being badly burned there seems to be no cure for that for some people.

An ounce of prevention . . .

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

i thought it was better then windows 7 till i heard about this !!

i guess i'll just never come back to using windows OS that make it worst every time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users