Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Linux system is suitable ?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Tamimwm

Tamimwm

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:15 AM

Hey everyone I was wondering which Linux Distro is most suitable for my pc and activities. I run  a win 8.1 original copy but I want to try  out the linux system . I use the office programs , powerpoint, word, one note etc.  Mostly for work , I watch a lot of  TV shows on my pc . I am looking for a stable distro with many costomisation options , I like to mess with my pc when I get free time . I am a total novice when it comes to linux so a version with many users wil be appreciated.

My speccy test:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OOx0IF5gS5GCUW0PuOeSJVH

Thankful for your help,

Best regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:44 AM

Hi

With those PC specs you can run  anything. And if you like tweaking then Kubuntu | Friendly Computing Is for you.

Before installing anything you should try it from a live disk. A live CD, live DVD, or live disc is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs in a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive; the CD itself is read-only.

What you do is download the ISO here Download

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

Then boot your PC from the disk you created. You may need to go into BIOS and set the PC to boot from DVD.

Edited by NickAu, 30 November 2015 - 02:47 AM.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

Really anything will do, but if you want powerpoint you will still have to use windows... for a bit until you get used to things then we can talk about using WINE and such (WINE is a way to run windows apps in linux so you know but baby steps)

For movies and TV, for netflix linux will do fine, but if you use hulu and amazon there will be some considerations but we can get to that later.

But for the new linux user, the best overall is Linux mint.

Mint will provide a windows esque interface so you can get used to things, I recommend it over the aforementioned Kubuntu due to it having preinstalled multimedia codecs and such without jumping through hoops.

http://linuxmint.com/

Edited by MadmanRB, 30 November 2015 - 06:03 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:39 PM

To add what MadmanRB said, and as you stated stable Linux Mint KDE because it is much like Kubuntu, but Kubuntu is the big daddy, it has all the new bells and whistles - very cool.

Have you thought about where to install it?  Because if your using this for work then you will need to be much more careful, and preferably have some kind of backup image on another drive.  Then to Dual Boot as you might already know.

You can also burn the Live Medium (like NickAu1 suggested above) but to a USB drive and Boot from that, some like this better, or just have one laying around that can be used.  There can be some little niggles with the USB's over, what I would say, the easier DVD route.  If you should go the USB route you will need to download Unetbootin to your windows install here.  Then download an iso to create your LiveLinuxDVD or USB.

As far as customization goes, they all are, but the ones mentioned above would have these options kind-of built in.  Linux is open source, so you can change anything you want if you know how.

Look at some youtube stuff if you want a better idea of how they look and work.

LinuxMintKDE17.1

Edited by pcpunk, 30 November 2015 - 03:46 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

I recommend it over the aforementioned Kubuntu due to it having preinstalled multimedia codecs and such without jumping through hoops.

What hoops?

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

I recommend it over the aforementioned Kubuntu due to it having preinstalled multimedia codecs and such without jumping through hoops.

What hoops?

I find muon discover useless overall, it doesnt detect the kubuntu-restricted-extras package if you search for it and command line may scare people off.

Muon discover works good on say Netrunner but it has preinstalled codecs as well.

Actually Netrunner is another good option, I get what you are going for with KDE being very close to the windows experience and Netrunner has the best KDE desktop even moreso than openSUSE

http://www.netrunner.com/

Edited by MadmanRB, 30 November 2015 - 03:18 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

What is "Muon discover" the Package Manager for Kubuntu?  Okay got it, no disrespect MadmanRB as you know way more than I, but I see an easy fix for that: Install "Muon Package Manager"

EDIT: I spoke to soon, still researching this as I would like to use Kubuntu.  It seems as though we can just install Synaptic and use that.

Okay back on topic.

Edited by pcpunk, 30 November 2015 - 04:35 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

Yeah i know my linux software, and yes you can install synaptic in Kubuntu it does the same job as it does on standard ubuntu,

Muon software center is a good option as well, but synaptic still remains the best package manger for linux in my opinion

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:33 AM

NickAu,MadmanRB , and pcpunk thank you for the suggestions but you kind of lost me there. I looked up some Youtube videos as suggested and I checked out the Kubuntu , LinuxMintKDE 17.1 and some others .It really doesn't matter if it looks different but does the job, anyways I am planning to run both systems on my pc, so I have to backup everything as pcpunk said.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:36 AM

Yeah sorry about that, I have used linux for over a decade now and know my way around so I often refer to what it has :D

And yes dualboot, its good practice even if you dont find linux to your liking it could be used as a backup OS

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:41 AM

I happened to view an operating system called zorin is it a suitable system  ?

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:42 AM

Yes

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:42 AM

Zorin is quite good, its suitable for a beginner.

My reccomendation of Mint is personal preference but Zorin will do the same job

Edited by MadmanRB, 01 December 2015 - 01:43 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 Tamimwm

Tamimwm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:49 AM

All right I will go with zorin then . Is there a guide on how to install a new operating system ? . And which OS 9 or 10 ?. OS 10 says security updates till 2016 , so does it mean after 2016 I upgrade to a new OS ?

Edited by Tamimwm, 01 December 2015 - 01:51 AM.

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:50 AM

Sure, actually there is a video:

This is for a older version, but the installer has changed very little

Edited by MadmanRB, 01 December 2015 - 01:52 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users