Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front USB Ports not Working - "Unknown Device" in Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 heldmacm

heldmacm

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

Hello,

I recently put together a new computer, and in the process of of installing the USB 3.0 connector from the front of my GX500 case, I either bent numerous pins on the motherboard USB 3.0 header or the motherboard shipped that way and I inadvertently made matters worse. Anyway, that header on the motherboard is without a doubt unusable.

Since I don't really need the USB 3.0 functionality, I bought a USB 3.0 -> 2.0 adapter cable, connected one end to the connector on the front of the case and the other end into the USB 2.0/1.1 header on the motherboard. Unfortunately, when Windows 7 boots and I plug a device into the front ports of the case, Windows detects the front USB ports as "Unknown Device" within Device Manager yet says the driver is successfully installed. I've already downloaded the most current Intel chipset drivers for my motherboard, deleted and reinstalled all USB drivers, and all rear USB connections are working perfectly fine - it's just the two front ports that are connected from the case to the USB 2.0/1.1 ports via the adapter cable.  I've tried both USB 2.0/1.1 headers on the motherboard, and I've tried plugging in several devices to the front USB ports, and this problem still persists.

I've ensured the connection inside the case is solid, yet I cannot get Windows to recognize the front USB ports.  However, I have confirmed that power is being sent to the front ports because it charges my phone when I connect it to the front USB ports via micro USB connection.  As a result, I'm inclined to think this is a driver issue rather than a hardware issue.  Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:43 PM

If your motherboard has a 1x pcie slot you can get a card like this...

Here

Some motherboards it's a tight fit because of the video card taking up space. In that case you can relocate the above card with this...

Here

#3 heldmacm

heldmacm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:10 AM

My 1x PCI-E slot is taken up by my graphics card, but my concern isn't having the USB 3.0 functionality.  It's getting some functionality out of the front USB ports at a reduced 2.0 speeds.  Does anyone have an idea as to how to get Windows to recognize those ports?  I thought the issue was a hardware problem until I found they provide power with a non-computing device, such as a cell phone, plugged in with my current set up.

Edited by heldmacm, 30 November 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:56 AM

USB 3.0 ports have 9 pins & 2.0 has 4. So 2.0 speeds is all you're going to see. If windows doesn't recognise the ports then that is probably due to the motherboards USB controller. What kind of adapter is this?

#5 heldmacm

heldmacm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

I know 2.0 speeds is all I'm going to see, and I'm fine with that.  The issue is that Windows doesn't recognize the ports at all.  Well, it does, but it recognizes it as "Unknown Device" and states the driver has successfully been installed, and of course, the connected device does not function.  Below is the adapter I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOI3VC8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

So shrink wrapped end goes to the front face and the 2.0 end goes to the motherboard header. The smaller end looks keyed so there is no way to plug it in wrong. Hmm that is strange that it doesn't work. Have you tried any other USb 2.0 device to see if it is also does the same thing? It's possible that the adapter is wired wrong maybe. Other than that only other explanation is that either dmg is more extensive than just bent pins? If the motherboard was ship damage like that it's possible the circuit board is cracked maybe and more unforeseen damge. I know usb 3.0 ports are reverse compatible, but not sure if that will work in reverse. I could see how you might run into problems there with the USB 2.0 controller not knowing how to load a USB 3.0 driver accross a usb 2.0 port. It's probably a driver issue.

Edited by technonymous, 30 November 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#7 heldmacm

heldmacm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:28 PM

The results have been strange.  Plugging my phone in to the front USB ports via USB -> Micro USB charged it, but plugging my iPod Touch in to the same ports (using the Apple USB cable) did not charge that device (nor did Windows recognize it, of course).  Unless that information helps, I can't think of anything else to do short of returning the adapter and trying a different one.  That should at least confirm if the issue is with the adapter or a hardware problem (along the lines of what you described) or a driver issue.  If it's the latter, I have absolutely no idea how to solve it or if it is even solvable.  I'd have to think it is since the adapter is presumably made for this very purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users