Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Need to block a website; can't

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 raymondshaw

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

There is a website I would like to block on my PC. I was told about a method involving going into the hosts file and hyping in followed by the website.  Here's the problem: whenever I do this, I'm told to save it as a text file, which apparently invalidates the whole thing.  How can I get around this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

Save it as a text file, then rename it to remove the extension.

hosts.txt -> hosts

#3 Zahid Iqbal1

Zahid Iqbal1

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:32 AM

open it as adminstrator, then it will be saved. Right click on host file and select open as administrator. It will be solved

#4 BeckoningChasm

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

When you save the file, do "Save As..." and choose "All files."  You should see the original "hosts" file then, and if you're confident you've edited the file properly, you can overwrite the file (if you're running Notepad as administrator).

On most computers, it's a good idea to go into Explorer, then into the "View" settings and check that extensions are visible.  That way you can see if you've created a "hosts.txt" file instead of "hosts" with no extension.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users