Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uploading Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Annik

Annik

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:52 AM

Hello, this is my first post here. I have already googled my problem as extensively as I can and I've also exhausted the search facility on this very forum trying to find a solution to my problem.

When trying to upload any file to an FTP server, it reports that it has uploaded 8kb and then it either freezes or stops the transfer. If I then abort the transfer, the file has been created on the FTP server, but it has a size of 0 bytes.

I have tried 2 different FTP Clients - SmartFTP v1.5 (unlicenced version) and Bullet Proof FTP, and the problem occurs with both.

I also experienece what I presume is the same problem when trying to upload to a http web-based server, such as geocities or imageshack - although of course the error reporting isn't as good, it just sits there trying to load the next page forever. Normal browsing and posting on internet forums, as well as playing internet-enabled games, all works fine.

I am running Windows XP SP2. My PC is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, with an A-Bit KN8 SLI motherboard, and 2 x Corsair 512 chips for my memory, which I am assured was near top-of-the-line 6 months ago. My pc is connected to a router on 2meg broadband from Nildram (i live in the UK). Nobody else on my network experiences any problems, so I can only presume it is specific to my PC. I have tried restarting my PC and/or router already, it has no effect. Also tried a winsockxpfix program that I found a link to on these forums, which didn't help, and in fact totally borked my connection, resulting in my reinstalling windows completely, which also hasn't fixed anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

it kinda sounds firewallish. since you have no issues downloading, i wonder if your port is blocked, port 21 is default for FTP protocol. do you have any software firewalls running? is so temporarily disable them to see if that helps. dont forget windows firewall which comes with sp2. you have a hardware firewall, (router) but as you have indicated, anyone else on your lan can up to an ftp server. if you are using a static ip, your router can specifically block certain ports for specific ip's. check with your lan administrator to see if you are using dynamic or static ip addressing.
i have used bulletproof ftp client and server, it seems to do the trick so i know it is a good program.

you had reformatted your computer so it isnt software issues, another thought, have you tried another nic?
post back to let us know how you are doing
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Annik

Annik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:05 AM

Hi Snapper, thanks for your reply.

We all use static IPs here.

I have tried 2 different software firewalls and also tried without any (software) firewall, still no progress. I am pretty much the network administrator at our place, there isn't anything in the firewall rules specifically blocking port 21 (port 21 is indeed the port I am using for ftp). Do I maybe need to specifically forward the port to my static IP? But then that wouldn't make sense since nobody else needs a port forwarded to them to be able to upload.. :\

The only other thing I can think of that might be significant is that the network card I am using is actually just the built-in thing on my motherboard (A-Bit KN8 SLI). Is there any chance it could be a shoddy motherboard? If so, how would I find out?

The last part of your post confused me - what is a "nic"?

-Annik

#4 Annik

Annik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:25 PM

Update! Problem has been fixed. The solution was the Nvidia firewall software that came with the motherboard drivers. A friend told me that it is known for being... uh how hang an air freshener on this... crap, so I tried just using windows firewall and deleted the Nvidia firewall altogether. Works like a dream now - guess the reformat did some good after all. :thumbsup:

Thankyou all for your help. :flowers:

-Annik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users