Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help on project, I don't even know where to start!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mercermike

mercermike

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

My daughter as part of a 7th grade project wants to build , what I am calling a computer jukebox.  She plans to use a touch screen moniter and a computer that is about 5 yearrs old but has never been used, don't know anything about it yet as it is a freebie from grandma. I have a hard drive with some 1800 songs on it she wants to borrow songs from. I have several questions that I need help with in just thinking about starting this project.

Would the audio output of a computer be enough to run 2 speakers for this?

What else would I need to make this work?

What kind of programs are available to pick songs and play them, 1 selection at a time or multiple selections, playback options?

Can I go from the audio outlet on the computer to the auxiliary input on my Sherwood receiver as a way of controlling volume?

These are just some random questions as I am looking for any help, advice or knowledge on starting with this.  Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done something like this or knows about something like this that could get me going in the right direction.  Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Next. who is trying to build this - you or your daughter ?  An interesting project. More seriously . . .

The audio output from almost all computers is insufficient to drive loudspeakers directly. They normally feed into an amplifier in one speaker, if you are talking about 'computer speakers' which then feeds both speakers. Or you can feed it into any stereo system amplifier and it will drive the speakers connected to that. I am unfamiliar with Sherwood equipment but so long as it has an external/aux input and a volume control it should do nicely.

A five year old computer and a touch screen. You might struggle to find drivers for a touch screen for a computer that old unless it is a laptop which already has a touch screen. However I would not have thought a touch screen was essential to this project - unless it is a laid down requirement. Further, a five year old computer probably has about a 250GB hard drive in it. Your 1800 tracks probably take up about 65-75Gb if they are in .WAV format, possibly less than 20GB if they are MP3 so she can probably get your whole collection onto it.

There are any number of players available to you. I personally use VLC as my default audio and video player partly because there is very little it can't play and because it is a free download -

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.en_GB.html

If that web-site doesn't work for you just google 'VLC player'. It can play single tracks, playlists or random shuffle a complete collection.

Hope this is of some help !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mercermike

mercermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

It seems that I am supplying the $$$, some technical resources through friends,  and the means to get the needed items, Seems she saw this set-up in a real estate office we were in and the agent let her see how it worked, I admit though, I also thought it was cool but not really interested in having one.  She, however thinks it is the greatest thing ever (so far!).  So, I think for now, we will do our research on the types of touch screens available, the requirements for them and the programs available. Once a decision is made is made, we will go from there.  We did see a video on youtube from a lawyer who had a nice set up in his office where the touch screen was in the office and the computer itself was in another area and hooked together with a long cable attached between them, had a interesting jukebox program on it.  Since we live in a rural area, I think this will be a good winter project for the both of us as i have never done anything like this as I consider myself technology challanged, without her help I would not even consider a cell phone or one of these fancy new TV's.

#4 mercermike

mercermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

Chris, Forgot to add, thank for your reply, I always appreciate any input and ideas, thanks again.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:06 PM

I'm told it is the way of the world. Dad/Mum provides the cash and perhaps resources and offspring have the fun of trying to put it all together !

One major problem I can foresee is sourcing that cable to link a touch screen to a remote computer, It not only has to carry the video and audio information from the computer to the screen but also the touch input data which is equivalent to adding the data from a keyboard and a trackpad. The only equipments I have any experience of with touch screens are tablets, which are highly integrated different beasts altogether.

It's certainly an interesting project and I wish you all the best with it. You are doubtless going to be coming back for advice !  Keep a note of the URL of this topic and if - or when - you want advice in the future all you have to do is type or copy/paste the URL into your browser and you will be back here. A new post in the topic will bring it back to the top of the pile where people will see it again. It works like that for all topics, including all the ones we had thought were safely dead and buried !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users