Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to upgrade my pc over time.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 natoir

natoir

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hope somebody wants to help me out on here (new user here).

I bought it from a friend a while back for not a lot of money but it works great with what i want to do. I mostly bought it for gaming, everything i play works fine, but those are often not triple AAA games (rocket league, isaac, f12014, alien (kinda AAA, but runs fine enough), thief). But now Just Cause 3 is coming out and it looks like running that might get tricky, so I'd like to upgrade my pc over a few months. Say I'd like to spend 200 - 300 euro's for every upgrade every four months or such. Kinda important the new stuff i buy at least fits in the new PC, a small bottleneck is no problem, if i can remove it later with a new upgrade. 

My specs (if you need more info, please let me know):

AMD Phenom II X4 965
Deneb 45nm Technologie
8,00GB Dual-Kanaal DDR3 @ 665MHz
ASRock 970 Extreme3 (CPUSocket)
1024MBATI AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (XFX Pine Group)
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Power Supply 

From speccy.

Thanks SO much for any help, greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, the specs of JC3, the game for which i pretty much wanna upgrad.

Minimum Specifications 
OS: Vista SP2, Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required) 
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K, 3.3 Ghz | AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3 Ghz 
Memory: 6GB RAM 
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2GB) | AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB) 

Recommended Specifications 
OS: Vista SP2, Win 7 SP1, Win 8.1 (64-bit Operating System Required) 
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz 
Memory: 8 GB Ram 
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3GB) | AMD R9 290 (4GB) 

Edited by natoir, 29 November 2015 - 01:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 natoir

natoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:17 AM

For example, would it be a good investment to buy this card now, put it in, and upgrade the rest later?

http://www.newegg.com/global/nl/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131673

PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 380 DirectX 12 AXR9 380 4GBD5-PPDHE 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card

#3 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:17 AM

If you would like to spend 200-300 dollars every four months to upgrade your PC, then you are better off building a new PC. The system requirement of the game is high so you need a good PC:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YTZvXL

You can reuse the power supply from the old PC because it is 700W.

You can also add a SSD if you want your games and application to load faster.

Edited by batman1234, 30 November 2015 - 07:18 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#4 natoir

natoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:25 AM

If you would like to spend 200-300 dollars every four months to upgrade your PC, then you are better off building a new PC. The system requirement of the game is high so you need a good PC:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YTZvXL

You can reuse the power supply from the old PC because it is 700W.

You can also add a SSD if you want your games and application to load faster.

Hmm okay, but wouldnt it be possible to upgrade it one by one? So Gpu, then processor, then motherboard, or in a different order?

#5 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:28 AM

It is very difficult to upgrade the processor, normally when your upgrade the processor, you need to change the motherboard, as well as RAM. So, I found that it is easier to build a new one rather than upgrade one by one.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:29 AM

You will need to upgrade your cpu to a phenom II x6 and your gpu. You can buy a phenom x6 from amazon for $88. Buying a gpu depends on your budget. How much will you be willing to spend on a gpu?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:35 AM

If you are wanting to upgrade your motherboard to accept Intel or to an AMD 900 series chipset, you will need to buy the board, CPU, and possibly RAM if going to Skylake, all at once along with the operating system if you are using a System Builder/OEM edition due to it being locked to your old board.  Your motherboard will accept FX-series processors, check the CPU compatibility list at ASRock's site here for the complete list.

3939.png

#8 natoir

natoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

It is very difficult to upgrade the processor, normally when your upgrade the processor, you need to change the motherboard, as well as RAM. So, I found that it is easier to build a new one rather than upgrade one by one.

Hmm okay, thanks!

You will need to upgrade your cpu to a phenom II x6 and your gpu. You can buy a phenom x6 from amazon for $88. Buying a gpu depends on your budget. How much will you be willing to spend on a gpu?

That's possible? I'd be willing to spend around 250 on a gpu, or something like that. I'm hunting for deals already, any advice on what to look out for? Budget is not that stricked.

If you are wanting to upgrade your motherboard to accept Intel or to an AMD 900 series chipset, you will need to buy the board, CPU, and possibly RAM if going to Skylake, all at once along with the operating system if you are using a System Builder/OEM edition due to it being locked to your old board.  Your motherboard will accept FX-series processors, check the CPU compatibility list at ASRock's site here for the complete list.

Because some cards (the 900) wont work with my board? That's good to know. Mostly why I don't reallyd are to buy new parts, not knowing if they willw ork and such

#9 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:01 AM

Because some cards (the 900) wont work with my board?

Any graphics card will work on any motherboard. Because the system is old, bottleneck will happen when you use high-end card (GTX 970 for example). JC3 has a very high system requirements, if you want to get high FPS when gaming, a better PC is needed. I recommend that you build a new PC, if budget is not a issue.

Edited by batman1234, 30 November 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#10 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:23 AM

If you think the PC I suggest is too expensive, then get a i5-4460, or i5-6400 which is newer. Games doesn't make use of Hyper-Threading so i5 will be enough. But if you have the money go for the i7 for future-proofing. Some games might start to use Hyper-Threading in the future I guess.

Edited by batman1234, 30 November 2015 - 11:23 AM.

#11 natoir

natoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:35 AM

Any graphics card will work on any motherboard. Because the system is old, bottleneck will happen when you use high-end card (GTX 970 for example). JC3 has a very high system requirements, if you want to get high FPS when gaming, a better PC is needed. I recommend that you build a new PC, if budget is not a issue.

Well, i have only 250-ish to spend on it right now, and would like to upgrade right now if possible. But I'll probably take your advice and save up.

If you think the PC I suggest is too expensive, then get a i5-4460, or i5-6400 which is newer. Games doesn't make use of Hyper-Threading so i5 will be enough. But if you have the money go for the i7 for future-proofing. Some games might start to use Hyper-Threading in the future I guess.

Okay. Think I'll look out for an I5 or I7 in a deal, so i can collect the parts over some time. Thanks for your built, gonna use it as a guide :) How good of a pc would that get me? If you can compare it to the JC3 specs?

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 07:46 AM

That's possible? I'd be willing to spend around 250 on a gpu, or something like that. I'm hunting for deals already, any advice on what to look out for? Budget is not that stricked.

Because some cards (the 900) wont work with my board? That's good to know. Mostly why I don't reallyd are to buy new parts, not knowing if they willw ork and such

You may have misunderstood.  The AMD 900 series chipset is the motherboard chipset.  The 900 series, which includes the 970 (Your ASRock motherboard), 990X, and 990FX, are designed from the ground up for the FX-series CPU's, but some motherboards will accept these CPU's as well, only without some of the power saving features.  You can use some FX CPU's and any AMD or Nvidia graphics card that uses PCI-Express X16 slots on your current board.

That ASRock motherboard you are using can utilize some of the FX CPU's, such as the FX-8320E and when combined with a good GPU, will work well.

If you replace the motherboard to accept Intel CPU's, you will effectively be rebuilding your PC with a new motherboard, CPU, and, if going to Skylake, DDR4 RAM, and a new copy of Windows.  You will not be able to spend 200 to 300 euro every four months, you will have to spend two to three times that all at once for those components alone.  Note that the PCPartpicker build above is in USD, since you are in purchasing these components in euro from European retailers, the price will be higher.

3939.png

#13 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

Well, i have only 250-ish to spend on it right now, and would like to upgrade right now if possible. But I'll probably take your advice and save up.

Okay. Think I'll look out for an I5 or I7 in a deal, so i can collect the parts over some time. Thanks for your built, gonna use it as a guide :) How good of a pc would that get me? If you can compare it to the JC3 specs?

Either i5 or i7 will be fine, if paired with a powerful GPU. Games doesn't make use of Hyperthreading in i7. You will still get better performance with i7 because of higher clock speed, but it is not noticeable. Go for i7 if you want futureproofing.

#14 natoir

natoir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

You may have misunderstood.  The AMD 900 series chipset is the motherboard chipset.  The 900 series, which includes the 970 (Your ASRock motherboard), 990X, and 990FX, are designed from the ground up for the FX-series CPU's, but some motherboards will accept these CPU's as well, only without some of the power saving features.  You can use some FX CPU's and any AMD or Nvidia graphics card that uses PCI-Express X16 slots on your current board.

That ASRock motherboard you are using can utilize some of the FX CPU's, such as the FX-8320E and when combined with a good GPU, will work well.

If you replace the motherboard to accept Intel CPU's, you will effectively be rebuilding your PC with a new motherboard, CPU, and, if going to Skylake, DDR4 RAM, and a new copy of Windows.  You will not be able to spend 200 to 300 euro every four months, you will have to spend two to three times that all at once for those components alone.  Note that the PCPartpicker build above is in USD, since you are in purchasing these components in euro from European retailers, the price will be higher.

Ah I was thinking of the GPU when i mentioned the 900, thanks for clearing that up. If i understand correctly now: i could buy an FX8320E and combine that with my current motherboard, and then put in another GPU? Would that be a significant upgrade? 

Trick seems to be not to replace the motherboard then, because then i'd have to buy a whole new pc (pretty much). Would you recommend a good gpu for reference?

Either i5 or i7 will be fine, if paired with a powerful GPU. Games doesn't make use of Hyperthreading in i7. You will still get better performance with i7 because of higher clock speed, but it is not noticeable. Go for i7 if you want futureproofing.

Id like to futueproof of course, ill see how it works out. But pretty much the same question again: could i just pop an i7 in there 'now'? Will it work with my motherboard? And then after a while buy a new better gpu?

#15 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

No, i7 will not work on AMD motherboard, to use i7, you need a new motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users