Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can someone find your employment and/or other history just by knowing your?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:34 PM

Is it possible for someone to find your employment and/or other history just by knowing your full name and family address? For me I don't see how this would be possible unless someone was genius enough to hack into a government database. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juliet

Juliet

• Malware Response Team
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

For me I don't see how this would be possible unless someone was genius enough to hack into a government database.

That has recently been done.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/opm-hack-18-milliion/

we were confronted with the fact that social security numbers were also seen on the black market, they were providing 3 years of ID/banking coverage, of course provided by the government. :)
MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, rMS-MVP 2017
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2017

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:52 PM

The amount of info on any individual is hard to imagine but with the advent of search engines and the sources available in the public domain, it amounts to a huge diary of your life.  My personal life has not been impacted by this info being available to anyone.   My goal is to keep my user name separate from anything that would cross reference to the real name.  ISP's hold a huge database of info on all their customers, past, present and future and that would be the only link for me but they have the best anti-whatever  programs to protect their networks.

#4 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

Probably easier than most people realize. People post way to much personal info on social websites. Info can be compared and crossed matched with other sites, iam thinking facebook/linkedIn along with many others. Your personal information is a gold mine and is sought-after, sold and shared. You are a potential sale or in the case of cyber crooks a potential money source. And as seen time and time again your information is not protected very well at all with the companies you freely give the information to.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#5 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

What if your address and name is unlisted and you never entered your SSN/NIS number anywhere online? 

That has recently been done.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/opm-hack-18-milliion/

we were confronted with the fact that social security numbers were also seen on the black market, they were providing 3 years of ID/banking coverage, of course provided by the government.  :) 

Yeah I remember reading something about this. I never knew it had increased to now 10 million plus people. Also I thought this was a nation state attack. 

#6 Juliet

Juliet

• Malware Response Team
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

What if your address and name is unlisted and you never entered your SSN/NIS number anywhere online?

You lessen the chances of things happening but,  Banks have been hacked too.

Also I thought this was a nation state attack.

It was nationwide.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, rMS-MVP 2017
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2016-2017

#7 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

Also I thought this was a nation state attack.

It was nationwide.

[/quote]

by nation state I meant I thought the attacks came from another country like China or Russia. I think I used the wrong words here lol. Anyway I think I might go back and read that link more thoroughly. 

Edited by auto1571, 29 November 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

There are sites which also collect all types of information about individuals and are willing to provide that info for a fee.

BTW...the government itself has been prone to security breaches and hacking.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

Even if you have never filled out a form online many paper forms you will fill out in your lifetime. That information itself will be stored in online capable data bases and that information can be hacked or in many cases outright sold for profit.

Just about every major system in the world has been compromised at one time or another to some extent.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users