Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 installation problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Pentodes

Pentodes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

Using Win 7 pro 64 bit on a Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H mobo with a Trinity A6-5400K APU. Using a 250Gb Western Digital mechanical drive (brand new).

When installing Win7, I get 'Loading files', then goes to the windows logo 'Starting windows', then zilch the screen goes dead, no hard drive or DVD activity - it just sits there.

I did have win Xp and Mint on the drive on one occasion, then went an bought a genuine Win7 disc from a well known computer shop on the net.....  I did have win XP and Linux Mint on at one stage, discovered I couldn't even install Win7 so I took the hard drive out and reformatted it using my XP 32 bit machine and tried again.

One guy told me I should just leave it sitting for half an hour, somehow I can't see that, I did try it though.

The drives are seen in bios, for Win 7 set up do I use AHCI and Legacy? I do have the optical drive as the 1st boot.  Thanks Dave.

Edited by Pentodes, 29 November 2015 - 12:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

That motherboard has UEFI instead of a normal BIOS. For a Windows 7 install you can either change the settings to Legacy or CSM boot and install Windows 7 or install Windows 7 with UEFI enabled.

I would keep the setting at AHCI and install with UEFI enabled. The hard drive needs to be initialized as GPT before you can install Windows on a UEFI computer.

Insert your Windows 7 install DVD and boot the computer. For your Gigabyte motherboard there will be a boot menu key you tap at boot to display a boot device. Check your manual Select UEFI DVD. I believe this will be F12.

At the first install screen shown here press Shift + F10. This will bring up a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      X will be the number for your install disk you want Windows installed to

clean                  this will erase any partitions, if any, currently on the drive

convert GPT

exit

Close the Command Prompt Window and click Next. Click Install Now.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

Additional Reference

Louis

#4 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

Hi, sorry for late reply.... not had chance do anything as yet I'll probably get round to have a play tomorrow, I'll post back.  Thanks for the link which I've booked marked and indeed info from JohnC_21

I only wished now I fiddled around with the new drive and left the working one alone!  It's the new format config got me, I'll bet. Just had to acknowledge your reponses. Thanks again, Dave.

#5 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

@JohnC_21

On installing CD I get 'Press any key to continue' at the top (I don't need to because it starts to load), I get 'loading files' with the white bar at the bottom, when that gets to the end it come's up 'Starting windows' and the animation in the middle, after that the screen goes blank..... I tried Shift and F10 and nothing comes up I'm sorry to say.

I get the same result with either opto or HDD set as the first boot device, by pressing F12 at boot up I can select the first boot device

from what ever is installed including USB as you rightly said..... I'm stumped right here.  I did have UEFI and AHCI, I have 'turbo boost off' I understand this could affect installation. Right now I'm wondering if it's something in the power settings.

I'll try a few more times, if I get Linux installed at least I'll be able to use a modern browser and then have a play on another drive..... pity because the disc was a LCP unit from a renowned firm... white outer sleeve, blue inner sleeve completely sealed with MS stickers and such like.   Just gotta be something I'm not doing. 

I'm running XP pro 32 bit on a AMD2000+  which modern browser just don't like because of no SSE architecture support,  I just don't like swapping and changing every five minutes.

Thanks again and regards, Dave.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:45 AM

Try the following. Use Imgburn to create an iso of your install disk. Use a slow read speed of no faster than 4X if you can do it. This will take awhile. Then use the iso file with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. When installing Imgburn make sure you opt out of any optional programs.

For Rufus make sure your USB flash drive is listed. In the dropdown box select GPT for a partition scheme. If you still have issues then run Rufus again but use MBR for the partition scheme. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso image. Press Start. Backup anything on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

#7 Johnson1980

Johnson1980

• Banned Spammer
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

Hi All,
Issue was mentioned as Using Win 7 pro 64 bit on a Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H mobo with a Trinity A6-5400K APU. Using a 250Gb Western Digital mechanical drive (brand new). When installing Win7, I get 'Loading files', then goes to the windows logo 'Starting windows', then zilch the screen goes dead, no hard drive or DVD activity - it just sits there.
I also faced same issue So found easy solution that. Remove All memory sticks clean with soft cloth then insert the Memory back to Memory slot. Also make sure that CMOS Battery should be reseated that means (Remove the CMOS Battery and then insert it back). Now retry the Installation by Tapping F5 which is Forcing HDL. If there is any drop down to select please choose "Standard PC". This will Resolve the problem of Windows 7 Installation.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 December 2015 - 08:10 AM.
spam link removed from post

#8 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

Wow JohnC-21..... that is exactly what I was thinking of trying, pretty sure I used Rufus to get the Linux ISO installed from a usb drive - drat, only wished I gone and left it and installed Win 7 on a spare new drive now, then little ol' me started to think of my PCB cad programs on XP  that's when I decide to use my XP 32bit install CD.... antiquated I thought and antiquated  it left me that's how I got into this mess, lol..... I should have known better, I always keep a cloned copy of my XP 32bit machine.

Thanks again, gonna take me a day or two here. Dave

#9 Pentodes

Pentodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

@Johnson 1980

Thanks for the input, certainly give it a try.... now I didn't know about F5 forcing HDL, I am installing from a DVD not a USB BUT I do use a USB keyboard and mouse...... emmmmm. This mobo has a dual PS2 socket - more play time required here.

I'll post back as soon as time permits.  Dave

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:38 PM

"...dual PS2 socket...more play time..."  you're correct; PS/2 mouse and keyboard have a faster response than USB mouse and keyboard.  Googled Windows 7 installation, nothing came up indicating [dis][advantage]s; other than one user bypassing usb mse/kb & Windows 7 install problem by using PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users