Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

increase size of "window text" only - is there a registry change to do this?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alharris

alharris

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:46 AM

Greetings,

I use XP, but the "window text" - e.g., the text inside XP windows when opening a folder giving its contents - is becoming too small for my ageing eyes.

It seems that this can be modified only if under Deskrop > Properties > Display Propeties one choses "Windows Clasic Style" rather than "Windows XP Style". The option to change font size is greyed-out if one goes to"Advanced Appearance" and selects "Window". Selecting "Windows XP Style" overrides some of the options that would otherise be available.

Curiously, if one selects "Active Title Bar WIndow" and changes rhe font size, the dialog box preview changes both the Title font and the displayed Window Text, but if all that  is accepted, only the tite font is changed.

So - is there either a change in the Registry that can be made to alter the default "Windows XP Style" settings for this, or another registry change, or a bit of software that can increase the font in "Window Text" without changing everything else? I know about changing DPI, etc., but I would prefer not to make global changes. (On one forum someone suggested making global changes and then reducing the font size on everything else...).

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

Have you tried the Windows suggestion of using High Contrast in the Accessibility Options \ Display?  It may solve your problem although I have to admit, I didn't like the appearance of Windows when I tested it.  :wink:  Changing the DPI setting may be the simplest solution and you can always change it back if you don't like the results.  Mine is set at 96dpi and it works for me and my eyes are shot!  You could even use the Custom DPI setting to a size of your choice.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 alharris

alharris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:35 AM

I see what you mean about the High Contrast modes - looks awful. So far I have modestly increased the DPI, which helps, but I still think/hope that somewhere buried in the Registry there is an entry that allows either changing the Window Text font/size  or just allowing that to be changed, when the Display Appearance is WIndows XP Style.....

Thanks -

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

Sorry I can't help out with making changes to the registry.  I don't touch the registry!  Just call me World's Biggest Coward. :)

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Have you tried the Ease of Access Magnifier? This will create another Windows that will magnify what your cursor is on. The window can be resized.

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/magnify_about.mspx?mfr=true

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2015 - 04:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users