Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Option Settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RCB

RCB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:15 AM

Windows XP SP2 on eMachines laptop.

Power options settings box is grayed out.
No power schemes listed.
No settings possible.

:thumbsup:

RCB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 diana1096

diana1096

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:49 AM

Look at system properties to see what xp is using for power management. See if it is enabled. Many laptops are rather odd. They might require special tweaks that the manufacturer did on the previous OS to get it to work.

found while re-searching your problem:
remember to always back up your registry before doing ANY changes to it.
I would also wait for someone who's been around here awhile to add to or change this advise.
Esp. if you've never worked with your registry before.

Mark in Redondo Beach - recreating default power schemes in XP
After doing some research Iíve determined that there is no standard default power scheme, since OEMís often customize these. However, Kellyís Korner XP (a fabulous Windows XP tweak resource) has a generic set you can download from here as a Registry file. Download the file and double click it to install the power schemes in XP. You may want to tweak these a little in the Power Options control panel after you install them.
[http://leoville.tv/uploads/powercfgrestore.reg]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Edited by diana1096, 24 July 2006 - 06:55 AM.

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

Yes diana1096 is correct about laptops being special. Since the power settings are all grayed out there might just be something about this model of laptop that requires special attention. In this case I would suggest calling the manufacturer's tech support even if it means paying for tech support to fix this, actually it might be normal for this model and there might just be their own special spot to do this job.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

My Toshiba laptop refuses to let me use the Windows power settings and insists that I use the Toshiba utility for it - so it's possible that this is "by design" with the eMachines laptops.

I've disabled all of the Toshiba power stuff on my laptop and can now use the Windows tools (and don't miss the Toshiba stuff at all!)

The point here is that you can adjust the Windows power schemes via the registry - but those changes may not be usable because of a running program (designed by eMachines) may prevent access to these settings.

The process for reverting back to the Windows power scheme rather than the Toshiba power scheme was painful to say the least. It required a lot of research just to figure out which programs caused it. Then there was the possiblity that I might break something unknown when I disabled it and would render my laptop useless (but thankfully I had the recovery DVD handy for just such a possibility!).

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 diana1096

diana1096

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:44 AM

I have a desktop model emachine and feel your pain with their tech support. If your still in their database or still fairly new just send tech support an email. If they don't have to do anything they won't charge you but heed my warning-> some of them don't know what they are doing.
I called one night because I kept getting blue screened and I don't know if it was a bad night for him or what but he give me the instructions to do a reinstall the hard way. Since emachines doesn't ship with install disks I would've been up the creek. So take some salt with what they say. :thumbsup: Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users