Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Questions about possible upgrade to HD monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barginski

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hello all,

I woke up this morning to find out that my flatscreen LG monitor apparently bit the dust. It absolutely will not power on. It's 9 years old at this point. Luckily I found a generic backup in the closet to make do until I can find a replacement. I'm looking at some monitors online, and have a few questions.

Does anybody have any recommendations based on where/where not to buy from? I've been looking at Best Buy, as that is where I got my last monitor from. The only stipulation is that I would not purchase any sort of protection or Geek Squad warranty; I frankly don't see a need for that.

The monitor I'm looking at is a 23" AOC HD flatscreen, with an aspect ratio of 16.9 and a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. The system I would be using this with is as follows:

Custom Windows 7 machine

AMD FX-8320 8-core CPU

AMD Radeon R9 270x GPU

250 GB SSD

The system is mostly used for gaming, particularly simulators which are graphics-intensive. Image clarity is fairly important to me. Having said that, I've never used an HD monitor, or even a widescreen one, so this is new territory to me. My old monitor ran at 1280x1024 resolution, and that is the maximum setting I'm seeing in the control panel. If I purchase this new monitor, will my system "recognize" it and allow it to run at the new setting of 1920x1080, or is that not possible with my system?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Edited by Barginski, 29 November 2015 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

I faced the same thing when the 19 inch widescreen I used started to fail on power up and eventually failed.  I searched for a bigger one and found the Acer K222HQL. for $120.  Does 1920 by 1080.  many other mfgrs have the same.  Even some smaller HDTVs with 1080P displays (not 720 the first HD level) work well depending upon interface options on the PC and TV.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,071 posts
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

Since I live on the other side of the Atlantic i cannot offer advice on suppliers but there are plenty of 23 - 24 inch monitors on the market most of which, if not all, will do 1920 x 1080 or better.

Since you have a working replacement my advice would be to take your time, read reviews, see what people say about the various makes and models then put down your hard earned cash. FWIW, I was i this position about a year and a half ago and finished up with an Iiyama. The colour rendering is very good which is important since I do quite a lot of graphics work.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users