Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help needed with Outlook and Calendar

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

My Calendar is in a real mess and I cannot find how to edit it, at the least to delete the mass of replicated entries. Clicking on them achieves nothing. I see the Calendar in Mail and Outlook but cannot find the editing settings described in an Office article. I am not sure I am getting the Navigation Pane, I certainly don't find the settings it is supposed to have.

I have never got on well with Outlook and have tried to avoid it, hence using Thunderbird instead of Outlook Mail and never making much sense of People instead of the more obvious Address Book or Contacts. I always thought that Windows Live Mail was far superior, but some people have even found it missing after the upgrade. But now I am trying to mend my ways and get on top of Outlook, Mail, etc. which does seem quite central to the Windows 10 experience..  

By the way, I thought Calendar was supposed to sync with my Lumia phone? It hasn't done, I am glad to say --- at least for the present.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 November 2015 - 11:40 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

I have just found a site, How-To-Outlook. Little of it made sense. In particular a page of keyboard shortcuts to Outlook functions: Ctrl 1, 2, 3 and so on. None of them worked (or did anything). I felt I was working at an alien computer yet there were reference to Windows 10, so something should have been familiar.I don't think I will get anything of use from that site but would like to know why everything is so unfamiliar, including keyboard actions. 

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

Based on some of what's in your post I am unclear as to whether you're talking about MS-Outlook, the Win10 mail app, or Outlook.com.

If you are talking about the classic MS-Outlook that's part of MS-Office then knowing what version of Office you're running would be helpful.

If you're talking about the Mail and Calendar apps that come with Win10, those have nothing to do with Outlook, but are standalone apps that have their own little worlds.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

Hello

I too am unclear! As I said, Outlook et al, is a confusing morass to me.

I am not using any version of Office. I removed it. The only element from Office I use now is OneNote.

I am mainly concerned with Calendar and Mail which came with W10, but also with Outlook.com because I have found I have to use it to change things in Mail, for example creating Folders. This I find a strange and elusive arrangement. But I thought because of it maybe you have to use Outlook.com to manage Calendar, (etc). Not so it seems, so how do I manage W10 Calendar?

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:56 AM

First, none of the Win10 Apps has any connection to Outlook, which is a part of the MS-Office Suite (I'm discounting Outlook.com)

I had been using Mail and Calendar on another machine just to get familiar with them.  Mail was really no different than any e-mail client, e.g., Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Zimbra, as far as setting up the account(s) you want to use with it and letting it do its thing.  It does not (or did not, if it's got one now) have a unified inbox where e-mail from all accounts is shown at once.  You had to click from account to account to check each inbox

Calendar was a different matter, but that's because I wanted to link it to my Google Calendars.  This requires a lot of gyrations, and even then there is no sync from Windows to Google, but there is from Google to Windows.  I do know that all I did was right click on various events/appointments and chose delete from the context menu to delete them.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

I thought I had posted here on this but it has not appeared, so here goes again. It is now clear that Calendar is totally bust since the update. It crashes continually, there is no access to any way to edit or delete entries, it has replicated entries endlessly. It did work once, not now. As Outlook.com has no interaction with Calendar I looked at Windows Live Mail. The Calendar there is much the same as the Desktop calendar but has not been corrupted. It at least gave me an idea of how Calendar should work.

What I need to do is uninstall Calendar, I am sure it is beyond repair. I understand that while this is not allowed for natively in W10 it can be done with CCleaner so I will give it a go. But it is not certain if / how it can be re-installed.Advice on this would be welcome.

#7 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

I should have looked at CCleaner before posting. My apologies. I see it is listed as Mail and Calendar. I certainly do not want to uninstall Mail, which I am using increasingly. So this is what I need advice on now ---- how can I remove Calendar with loosing Mail, and if I can remove it, is there a way to reinstall it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users