Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File History and the Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ubtree

Ubtree

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:55 AM

If File History is set up to include a whole drive, the recycle bin is included.  I certainly don't want or need a history of the recycle bin contents!

Is there any way to exclude the recycle bin from File History?  Or would it make sense to disable the recycle bin entirely?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 njt7g359jk

njt7g359jk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

Old thread. But as it's still not answered...

If the actual life time of elements in the recycle doesn't matter and the whole partition (with no exceptions) is selected to be backed up using File History the recycle bin can safely be disabled on this partition. I for my self decided to keep it enabled as i didn't want to backup the whole partition but most of it. In my case, the easiest setup was to select the whole partition and exclude few folders afterwards.

To exclude the recycle bin from the backup follow the steps below (Tested for Win10. There may be differences in the naming of the actual field names as i translated them from the German version of Win10):
a) Open an Explorer window and go to "Options -> Change Folder and Search options -> View"
B) Uncheck "Hide protected system files" and click "OK"
You should see the "$RECYCLE.BIN" folder now when you open a partition in an Explorer window
c) Open the File History settings and exclude the recycle bin(s) ($RECYCLE.BIN) from the backup like usual folders.
d) Undo step "b" 

#3 Ubtree

Ubtree
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:51 PM

Thank you for the reply.  It was a long wait, but well worth it.  An excellent solution!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users