Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall problems

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Decompose

Decompose

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:25 AM

I have a Dell PC running Windows 10. Whenever I try and uninstall a program I get the message:

Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete, and then try installing this software again.

How can I overcome this problem? It is also preventing me updating my AVG internet security.

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sinnerwrath

sinnerwrath

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:42 AM

Try checking your processes to see if there is any setups is running in the background that should not be running.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:24 AM

If trying to uninstall an incompatible program with an AppHardBlock on it - this will fail.

W10 blocks all access to an incompatible program - to include the uninstaller.

Several things/ways to try this (with varying degrees of difficulty). 

What is the program that you're trying to uninstall?

Is it incompatible w/W10?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Decompose

Decompose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:25 PM

I'm trying to uninstall Skype.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:49 AM

Try this new app (from a friend of mine):  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/

It's safe to run after downloading and scanning it with an antivirus.

When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
***********************************************************************************************************

I suggest this app because it's easiest, and it has a robust routine for detecting installations.

I don't think that Skype is your problem, so identifying the other program will be our chore here.

If we are unable to identify it, you may need to work in the registry.

Are you comfortable with that (or with using the program Autoruns)?

This may not work either - so then we'd have to attempt to figure out which programs are blocked (and then attempt to remove them manually).

I haven't had any success in trying this, but am willing to work on it if you are.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Decompose

Decompose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:11 AM

Thank you Usasma but I am not comfortable downloading something from your friend.

I await other suggestions to solve my problem.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

Not a problem, good luck to you.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

Check your startups and remove it if you can

--- I'm not on Windows 10 yet but I would check your startups first and remove it if you can

Then check out

How do I uninstall Skype for Windows desktop?

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA102/how-do-i-uninstall-skype-for-windows-desktop

When I looked it up, a message from Skype wanted feedback

--- I would use that resource

Please let us know the results

#9 Decompose

Decompose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:02 PM

I tried uninstalling Skype using the link you suggested but still got the same message.

Any other suggestions?

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

I have to admit, it doesn't surprise me.

I'm sure Skype won't like it but try responding to their request to provide feedback

Maybe trying to disable it would make sense if it's possible to do so

Windows 10 automatically does their Windows Updates where its beyond your control and I'm pretty sure Skype updates are included

Why? I don't have Windows 10 but I've seen more than I would care to see Skype updates in Windows 7 & Windows 8/8.1

--- If the person hasn't used it, they are usually in Optional updates

--- However if a person has used it, it wouldn't surprise me if they will not be able to get away from Skype

--- I feel like I'm speculating but if I had Windows 10 I'd be glad to experiment

But then check task scheduler, maybe you can stop it from being scheduled to run

Then there's services, maybe you can stop the process in there also

I also suspect there is more than a problem than Skype as usasma mentioned

I would like to cover usasma ideas as I agree with them as he is much more knowledge than I am in troubleshooting so many issues

--- Create a system image backup

--- I understand your concern but not trusting a friends program as mentioned but if you aren't getting anywhere through normal means it's worth trying: usasma is willing to work with you and you would have your system image backup to call on if the project becomes more difficult than who knows what

--- I've checked out quite a few other recommendations than I posted but I don't see anything even close to achieving a successful outcome

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

Windows 10 November Update Comes with Skype Integration Consumer Preview

http://neurogadget.com/2015/11/20/windows-10-november-update-comes-with-skype-integration-consumer-preview/20292

"Following the much anticipated ‘November update’, Skype features that include messaging and video calling, are fully included by default in Windows 10"

"The now inbuilt Skype is found on the ‘Start’menu" 

#12 Decompose

Decompose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:50 PM

Thank you cmptrgy. I now have Skype working on my PC but cannot uninstall an earlier version. Also I still cannot update my AVG internet security. Any more suggestions?

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:25 PM

You have a Dell PC running Windows 10.

--- What model is it? Desktop or laptop?

--- Is Windows 10 the original OS?

Originally couldn’t uninstall Skype: its probably the older version you couldn’t uninstall at that time.

--- “Please wait until that installation is complete, and then try installing this software again.”

Another program is being installed: it was probably the newer version that you now have running.

Based on the answers to the above items

Consider contacting the skype support site to request why the older version isn’t uninstalling.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA102/how-do-i-uninstall-skype-for-windows-desktop

You cannot update AVG Internet security

--- What version is it?

--- Is it a paid version?

--- What error code?

#14 Decompose

Decompose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:16 PM

Dell Inspiron 660 ST Base desktop (2 years old). Windows 10 was provided with a replacement HD.

Still can't uninstall older version of Skype.

AVG is paid version.

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:45 AM

I would run Disk Cleanup at this point.

"Dell Inspiron 660 ST Base desktop (2 years old). Windows 10 was provided with a replacement HD."

--- What was the original OS?

--- If so was the older Skype version in use?

--- On the replacement HD, was there anything carried over from the original OS?

EDIT: "I tried uninstalling Skype using the link you suggested but still got the same message."

What is the message exactly? Is there an error code?

AVG is paid version.

--- Do you get an error message and/or error code?

EDIT: What version is it?

Edited by cmptrgy, 03 December 2015 - 08:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users