Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB folder acting like a shortcut

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 justgully

justgully

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

Okay so let me start by saying the folder is acting like a shortcut but does not have the arrow icon to indicate it "is" one. The error message shown when i try opening the folder is along the lines of the following:

E:\Photos is unavailable. If the location is on this computer.... If it's on the network.... if you still can't access it then it's moved or deleted.

The following has been attempted to resolve the issue:

Changing the driver letter.

Uninstalling and Installing the USB driver.

Malwarebytes full scan. During which you can clearly see it is scanning the files within the photo folder. It never found any virus.

Command prompt command given for removing the shortcut virus and showing all hidden files on the USB which starts with attrib. When I run the command I get the message could no find symbolic link to E:\photos. To which I then tried mklink which gave the error this device doesn't support symbolic links.

As a long shot I tried creating an image of the USB and then opening the image file and extracting the files. But all I get it errors when I try accessing the image file.

Even when I manage to look inside the photos folder using Delinv it shows as empty.

Oh and newly created files and folders can be seen fine.

This is a FAT32 sandisk USB. I forget the size because it's actually my sisters. Weirdly it showed up as a Local Disk when I put it in the computer.

If you can help I would be ever so grateful.

Edited by justgully, 28 November 2015 - 10:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:20 PM

Can you right click on the folder, go down to properties and see what the location is?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 justgully

justgully
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

The locations states the driver letter e.g. F:

#4 bobjimmy123

bobjimmy123

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hmmmm it might be corrupt? In that case there are some great file recovery tools out there for USB devices.

#5 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

It is a known issue with flash drive, mainly caused by viruses. Files in my flash drive also become shortcut when I insert it into other PC. Here is a fix: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/files-folders-in-usb-turn-into-shortcuts

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#6 justgully

justgully
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for your suggestion BobJimmy I didn't think about trying a recovery tool but will do now and post here what happened.

And thanks Batman, that was one of the solutions I have already attempted with no avail.  The folder does not have that mini arrow in the corner so if it is a virus it's a different one to the shortcut virus.

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for your suggestion BobJimmy I didn't think about trying a recovery tool but will do now and post here what happened.

And thanks Batman, that was one of the solutions I have already attempted with no avail.  The folder does not have that mini arrow in the corner so if it is a virus it's a different one to the shortcut virus.

What is the location of the shortcut?

Next please run a virus scan and remove any viruses found.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#8 justgully

justgully
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

Hmmmm it might be corrupt? In that case there are some great file recovery tools out there for USB devices.

I definitely over-complicated the matter entirely :bounce:

The files are being recovered as we speak.

Thanks for the suggestion Jimmy :thumbsup2:

#9 justgully

justgully
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:33 AM

I had done a full scan with an updated Malwarebytes and it found nothing.

It was a simple corruption issue.

Thanks for taking time out to help me.

#10 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

I had done a full scan with an updated Malwarebytes and it found nothing.

It was a simple corruption issue.

Thanks for taking time out to help me.

Yes it might be a corruption on your flash drive. There are some great file recovery tools to help you recover your files like Recuva.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users