Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Last minute validation or advice wanted for new gaming desktop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bleedingham

Bleedingham

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

Greetings. I've preparing to get a $1639 gaming rig from this Black Friday. The CPU, RAM, SSD, HDD, and GPU are from Amazon (I'm outside the USA), and the rest are to be bought from local stores. Does the system look good - did I pick well? Any better or cheaper parts, or is there any bad part (for a particular example, how good are the motherboard and SanDisk SSD, and is the monitor recommended?)?

The system:

Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba  5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($144.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($339.99 @ Amazon) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer  ($23.17) 
Monitor: Dell P2314H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor  ($202.10) 
Other: Shipping & handling (Amazon) ($31.89)
Other: Approximate Import Fees Deposit (Amazon) ($173.13)
Total: $1638.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-28 22:33 EST-0500

PC is to be used for demanding games (AAA titles) at 1080p@60FPS minimum, and is intended to last a long time.

Many more details here, if needed.

Thanks for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nubb001

nubb001

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:38 AM

That's a fine build. CPU/GPU/MB/PSU - right where the money should be spent. If you went R 390 there would be a power bump needed for your PSU.

The monitor...well all the cool kids are getting http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vg248qe a 1ms 144Hz

#3 Bleedingham

Bleedingham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:33 AM

Thank you for the reply! Good to know it's done well. Know anything about SanDisk SSD performance and reliability, by chance?

That monitor is much more expensive, especially where I live, and seems to only be a TN panel. Fortunately, I'm not cool enough to require 144Hz refresh rate and such jazz (frankly, not sure I'd notice the difference in numbers cranked up so high). Running latest games in FPS approaching 144 would also be a pickle, requiring some top-edge monster SLI setup I'd assume, if it's even practical at all. On the other hand, that's an excellent refresh rate and latency and you can adapt movie playback to it without a monstrous setup (and of course normal everyday activities will work smoothly - literally), so I guess I can sort of see where the craze comes from. Can be really good for enthusiasts with good eyes that often notice any FPS/RR changes.

#4 nubb001

nubb001

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

I'm not one of the cool kids either. I have a Dell 30" which was an income tax return special and on sale for a deep discount. When you are old you need your creature comforts

and you should have them. I can't disagree with an IPS screen your 970 will be a fine card to drive it.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:48 PM

The 970 had some memory issues; apparently the last .5GB of vram is degraded memory chips. Your choice. The r9 390 could also work.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Looks like a decent build to me. I haven't had experience with the SanDisk SSDs, but I have used Samsung and Kingston which both have done well. The only main thing I would suggest is if you are like me and install lots of other programs like Teamspeak, Ventrilo, and bigger space consuming software, you might want to upgrade to a 500GB SSD unless you make sure to install everything directly to the 5TB HDD which is what I do now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users