Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card installation question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ghunt

ghunt

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:45 PM

I have a HP Z400 Xeon, which has no on board video and instead has an Nvidia Quardro 2000 installed in it.

I'm upgrading to a GTX 950. If I install the drivers beforehand do I have to leave the Nvidia card installed or can I swap it out for the 950? There is an extra PCI x16 slot available, but I wouldnt have any use for the old card.

Edited by ghunt, 28 November 2015 - 09:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:18 PM

Uninstall the drivers/software for your current card. Shut down the computer. Disconnect from AC power. Press the power button to bleed off the capacitors. Ground yourself, then remove your current card & replace with the newer. Plug computer in & startup. Would suggest you get the latest drivers for the new card from the manufacturer's website & have them at the ready.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:21 PM

My suggestion is to first delete the Quadro 2000 drivers. Then power down and swap out the cards. Now boot up and install the GTX 950 drivers, then reboot. That should do it. A variation of that would be to delete the Quadro 2000 drivers while the computer is running (obviously :cowboy: ) and then install the GTX 950 drivers. Power down, swap out the cards and boot up. Always read the directions that came with your new card and make sure they don't have an alternate method.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 ghunt

ghunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

What's the best way to ground yourself? I don't have one of those wrist grounding straps but I could get one if that's recommended.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

Google List

Louis

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

I just touch a water pipe that runs overhead in my shop; that will discharge any static electricity. Very rarely will you build a charge just standing in one place working on a unit. I have never had a problem in 20 years of doing this.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users