Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I get rid of the Windows 10 icon in the System Tray?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

I just built a new computer and installed Windows 7 Pro. I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 10. I keep getting the Windows 10 Upgrade icon in my System Tray.

Several months ago, I posted a question on this forum and asked how to get rid of this icon. I was told to go into Windows Update, find the update in the list, and Hide it. I was told that this would fix the problem, and it did for some time. Now the Update icon is back and there does not seem to be an update in Windows Update that I can hide to get rid of the icon. Is there any way to get rid of this icon that won't go away?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

Easiest way is to use the GWX control panel. Look through the page and video first.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

KB 3035583 is the update that should be removed.

I would also set updates to tell me when they are available but do not automatically download. Also Uncheck "Give Me Recommended Updates the Same way I receive Important Updates" in the Windows Update Settings.

You can find a list of Updates to Remove here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2015 - 09:11 PM.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

John,

Thanks for this information.

I followed your links and downloaded the GWX program and installed it on my first computer. I was able to disable the Windows 10 icon and all of the Windows 10 Update functions. I also decided to try running the program in Monitor mode. However, when I rebooted the computer, all traces of the program seemed to disappear everywhere except in Programs and Features. I reinstalled the program and after rebooting had the same result, so I posted a comment on the GWX page describing the problem. I'll see what the author has to offer in the way of a fix.

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Looks like I got the program to work.

There are two versions of the program, one that installs with a standard Windows Installer and another that is just an .exe file that you run directly on the desktop. When I couldn't get the version with the Installer to work I finally decided to download the .exe file and run it. This did the trick. When I boot up, I get a window asking me if I want to run the GWX program, and when I answer "Yes", it starts and becomes operational.

Thanks for the pointer to this utility. It works great and has stopped the Windows 10 Upgrade from trying to download itself (at least for the time being).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users