Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU issue?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djrj78

djrj78

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

I am completely 1000% lost with my issue.

I built my own computer:

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-E (SOCKET 1150)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz 

Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz

Corsair 600M PS

Everything on my PC works completely fine, runs fine, tests fine, no issues what so ever. EXCEPT....

when I shut down my PC, it will not turn back on without flipping the I/O back and forth one time and then I can hit the power button and she will boot up. Its the only issue there is and I can't figure it out for the life of me.    

Also, when I just down, there is still power to the PC, video card is lit up and what not....I just dont get it.

Would love ANY help!!!!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:22 PM

I will throw out a couple of things that come to mind.

when I just [power] down, there is still power to the PC, video card is lit up and what no

(Word in brackets is mine). That means that the capacitors are still being charged even when the unit is powered down. Turning off the power supply (I assume you mean the power switch on the back of the PS) cuts all feed to the system and the capacitors discharge. Then your mainboard power-on lamp goes dark on the board, etc.

>  First, reset your BIOS back to factory default. I don't think that is the problem, but just in case there is some strange setting or corruption it is easy to do and takes only a couple of minutes. 

>  I will assume that you do not have a power supply tester; so you have to swap out the PS with another if you can get your hands on one that you know for sure is good. There is a homespun way of using a hairpin to test a PS, but I don't like it because it is dangerous and if you get it wrong you can injure yourself and the PS and void any warranty. Here is a tester that I use all the time, the Apevia, 3rd down from the top. I am not suggesting that you buy one, this is just FYI.

>  One last test you might try is your power switch. Pull the tiny front panel lead for your power switch where it plugs into the mainboard. Take a flat bladed screwdriver and short the two tiny contacts on the motherboard. Your computer should power up normally. After it boots and is running, cross those two leads again and your computer should power-down normally. If it starts again and powers down normally, the culprit is a bad front panel power switch. If it does the same thing as it has done, you have a bad motherboard (IF the power supply tests as good). This is not a shocking thing; I have sent several motherboards back to the retailer when I tested them.

Here is a link to a tutorial on building a new unit; it also has information on testing components as you go. You might get an idea or two from it.

Please post back when you are done and let us know how it is going. Good hunting!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users