Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming PC Upgrade > What to priorotize

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JPandersson

JPandersson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi! I have thought about upgrading my PC for a while now and have some thoughts about wich components need to be replaced, but im in no shape or form an expert on the matter. Some help from people with experience would be greatly appriciated. For reference I would like to be able to play something like BF4 and Battlefront in 1920x1080 in 60 fps on high to Ultra settings. I have a budget on about 900$. These are my current specs

• Cooler Master Silencio 550 Midi Tower
  • Silver Power SP-SS500 500W PSU
  • ASUS P8Z68-V LX, Socket 1155
  • Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz
  • DDR3 1333MH4Gb
  • Radeon HD6870
  • 1TB HDD

What should I be priorotizing with my current budget? 

Edited by JPandersson, 29 November 2015 - 05:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:28 PM

With a 900$ Pc I would build a whole new one. This pc: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mZqwdC
Should fit your budget.
You can reuse the old psu if it still works.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 nubb001

nubb001

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:38 PM

Your CPU while aging can still support a GPU upgrade to something like https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixgtx970dc2oc4gd5.

An SSD will make your system a lot peppier in general and like the GPU will walk over to your new build when you are ready for the next generation.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhii240gg25.

When you build a new system it will probably be an i5 or i7 with 16GB DDR4 on a new motherboard with a reliable power supply picked from amongst the 

EVGA G2 series, XFX or Seasonic offerings. You're in the transition point where if you wait a little while longer you can upgrade in an environment like

the i5 4690k lives in with so many variations and choices for a build budget while still getting good value from a new GPU and SSD.

#4 JPandersson

JPandersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:18 AM

With a 900$ Pc I would build a whole new one. This pc: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mZqwdC
Should fit your budget.
You can reuse the old psu if it still works.

Alright man, thanks for the tip! 

#5 JPandersson

JPandersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:22 AM

Your CPU while aging can still support a GPU upgrade to something like https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-strixgtx970dc2oc4gd5.

An SSD will make your system a lot peppier in general and like the GPU will walk over to your new build when you are ready for the next generation.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhii240gg25.

When you build a new system it will probably be an i5 or i7 with 16GB DDR4 on a new motherboard with a reliable power supply picked from amongst the 

EVGA G2 series, XFX or Seasonic offerings. You're in the transition point where if you wait a little while longer you can upgrade in an environment like

the i5 4690k lives in with so many variations and choices for a build budget while still getting good value from a new GPU and SSD.

Waiting seems to be what people keep telling me to do since like you said, an i5 4690k and a GTX 970 is what I would prefer. Not that it would matter to much but do you think 8GB DDR4 would be enough since I dont do any editing or recordings? Would save me a few bucks when the times comes if that's the case.

#6 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:22 AM

If you want to use i5 4690K, then you will need DDR3 RAM, not DDR4.

Edited by batman1234, 29 November 2015 - 08:22 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#7 JPandersson

JPandersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

If you want to use i5 4690K, then you will need DDR3 RAM, not DDR4.

That's good to know, thank you. You wouldn't possibly know a way to make a few bucks of old parts, because in that case i would obviously be able to bump up my budget a small bit. My components might be to old though.

#8 nubb001

nubb001

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

The way things work with the new generations of chips, like what the 4690K and its ilk belong to is that when we are several years in

you're are getting processors worth hundreds for half price as the new stuff like 2011 sockets and 1151 enter the market and everyone

is rolling out cost reduced or feature packed motherboards or variants of graphics cards for the 1150 socket..

With a limited budget you can switch over and get into the 4690K ecosystem OR you can do a low end bare bones 1151 OR you can

get a sweet spot GPU upgrade a result of the above situation and add a little extra sugar by moving onto an SSD and then waiting 

until you have about $1200-1400 and buy in to the middle of the 1151 socket mature market.

That's what I am really recommending. Stay pat, hold your hand and save up for a skookum machine when price reductions and/or

feature upgrades for the 1151 are in full swing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users