Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP ProBook 4720s with Windows 10 booting to black screen after Windows splash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BelgianDutchman

BelgianDutchman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

I have a laptop (ProBook 4720s) with Windows 10 that started booting to a black screen and becoming non-responsive some days ago.  
When I boot, I see the HP splash screen, then the Windows logo loading and then an unresponsive black screen without a cursor.  
The only way I can turn off the computer is by holding the power button.  
Sometimes it'll boot to a "Windows could not start correctly"-screen and I've tried that start-up repair, which couldn't solve it, I've tried System Restore to the latest point which failed twice and I've tried booting into Safe Mode with Network possibilities and then it froze while trying to enter the password.  
The only thing that worked was just booting into Safe Mode, the computer worked perfectly fine then.
I've also tried booting with a HDMI cable connected to a TV to make sure it's not just outputting the video to the wrong place, still a black screen though.

Since the laptop doesn't really "support" Windows 10 (there aren't any drivers for the laptop from the official site for Windows 10), I've downloaded some of the Drivers from [here](http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/hp/laptops-desktops/hp-probook-4720s/1020).
As far as I know though I think I've only installed the drivers that were necessary to make the webcam and fingerprint scanner work, though the latter still doesn't function.
Do note though that the computer worked fine after installing these drivers, it was only after a month or 2 that this suddenly happened.  

Any ideas how to fix this?  
Thanks in advance!
______

[Update]: I've started in safe mode and removed the AMD driver.
I restarted and got the same black screen, though now after a minute I got a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT bluescreen.
After googling and finding that it might be related to a USB device driver not functioning correctly, I viewed the hidden devices and removed the USB drivers of the devices that weren't connected.
Now I get a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION... I don't really know where to go from here...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:56 AM

Incompatibilities are always an issue when upgrading a system that hasn't been fully tested with a new OS

They can pop up at any time - not just during the installation or initial usage.

Have you tried a Reset using the Keep My Files option?

Also, if possible I'd like to see this report (it's a program written by a friend of mine and is safe to download and run):    http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

I asked for this report (other than the Sysnative report) as this is a bit simpler and it may be easier to use under the circumstances that you're facing.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 BelgianDutchman

BelgianDutchman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:54 AM

I've done a reset, it's running right now, I'll update you when it's finished.

Here's the zip:

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F.0B) dates from 2010.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Niet beschikbaar    ACPI\HPQ0004\3&33FD14CA&0    De stuurprogramma's voor dit apparaat zijn niet geïnstalleerd.
Niet beschikbaar    USB\VID_138A&PID_0007\0020A242F585    De stuurprogramma's voor dit apparaat zijn niet geïnstalleerd.

The first device is likely Protect Smart Hard Drive Protection

The second device is likely a Validity Sensor driver

Please download and install the latest, W10 compatible drivers for these devices

No other signs of problems - but there is no network device listed in the systeminfo.txt file

Yet there are network devices listed in the MSINFO32 report.

I have to wonder if there's a problem with the OS because of this.

If the Reset with KeepMyFiles doesn't work out, then the next thing would be a Reset with Remove Everyting.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users