Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Install New AMD Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FredDee

FredDee

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:11 PM

I didn't really know where to put this thread (and hope it's in the right topic) but I need help installing graphics drivers for my computer. I have an AMD Radeon R9 380 and I keep getting notifications saying there's a new update. I've tried updating the software by downloading it and installing it over the old drivers, but it keeps prompting me to install new updates. Help anyone?

Edited by FredDee, 28 November 2015 - 04:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

I believe you need to first uninstall the old drivers in Control Panel. AMD came out with new Crimson drivers to replace the Catalyst Control Center.

Here is the driver for Windows 7 64bit

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

#3 FredDee

FredDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

How would I uninstall all the old drivers? Is there like a complete tutorial on how to do this the SAFE way? I tried installing new drivers before and ended up screwing up and sending my computer off to have it fixed. (The guy apparently had to flash the firmware on the graphics card) I have Win 10 64bit btw

Edited by FredDee, 28 November 2015 - 04:31 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

That is the first time I have heard of a graphics card needing a firmware update after a driver uninstall. In fact I have never heard of a firmware update for a GPU. I just uninstalled an AMD driver for a HP desktop without a problem. I had to use the AMD uninstaller utility as my AMD driver did not show in Control Panel. Is your AMD driver listed in Uninstall Programs of Control Panel? Just be careful that you are only uninstalling the AMD graphics driver and not some other AMD driver like SATA.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Uninstall.aspx

Edit: I would like to add that if the computer is running fine and graphics are good then there is no need to update the driver.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 November 2015 - 05:03 PM.

#5 FredDee

FredDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

I have AMD Install Manager and AMD Catalyst Control Center listed. The computer does run fine and the graphics card good, but it would be nice to remove the pop ups every now and then.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

I am not sure what would be causing the popups. Is there a setting in Catalyst Control Center for update checking.

I did find this but it dates back to 2013

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDauto-updatenotification.aspx

Edit: I am going to add that I have found that firmware is available for GPUs but I have not heard of a bad driver uninstall requiring a flash.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#7 FredDee

FredDee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

Yea I followed some Youtube videos and used DDU to clean up the old drivers, which apparently messed some stuff up :\

Edit: I did what you suggested JohnC and it seemed to have done the trick, thanks!

Edited by FredDee, 29 November 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

Do a system restore and see if you can get back to where you started.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users