Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell laptop (Win 7) crashes coming out of hiberation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:38 PM

Hello, and thanks in advance for your time.

I'm on a Dell XPS L702X laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit.

I recently used this forum to troubleshoot 2 scanner connection problems.  With those resolved, my laptop has started crashing about 35% of the time when coming out of hibernation.  I have also allowed some Windows updates in the meantime, and I started using Avira VS instead of AVG.

I have not been at my laptop to see any/all of the error messages after the crashes.  The first time, I did see a quick error message which I believe was a black screen stating that Windows couldn't come out of hibernation, and I could have sworn the message said something like, "This is often a driver issue."  I am quite sure that I saw the word "driver" but I didn't see the entire message before the computer continued to restart.

If anyone can help, I would certainly try to return the favor from Los Angeles!

Thank you and happy post-Thanksgiving.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:50 AM

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi USASMA,

Thanks so much.  I've just begun the steps and am running the Sysnative app now.

In the meantime, here are what I hope is complete system details:

· OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
· What was original installed OS on system?  This same OS.
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)?  Pre-installed by Dell.
· Age of system (hardware) - I believe I bought the laptop around December 2012.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? - I reinstalled the OS some time in either 2013 or 2014.

· CPU - Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2 GHz
· Video Card - Intel HD Graphics Family

(I also see NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M)
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop)
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)

· System Manufacturer - Dell
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) - XPS L702X

· Laptop or Desktop? Laptop

#4 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

Hi USASMA,

Attached please find the Sysnative File Collection zip and the Perfmon Report zip.

I will post Event Viewer in just a moment.

Thank you so much.

Attached Files

#5 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:34 PM

And here is the Event Viewer zip.  Thank you!

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

Although you have 8 gB of memory, something is eating up 7 gB of it.

This is causing problems with the system (and may be causing the problems that you're having)

Check in Task Manager to see what's eating it up.  You can also check in the Processes tab, along with the memory section of the Performance tab.

Lot's of problems with the Bonjour service.  Please uninstall it from Control Panel...Programs and Features.

If needed, the Apple Software Updater can provide it again.

On 21 October you had a BSOD due to your wireless drivers.

Please update them to the latest, W7 compatible version

Beyond that, there's not much info related to the crashes coming out of hibernation.A
Also, if you're using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner), please stop while we're troubleshooting.

If all of this doesn't stop the BSOD's, please run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Edited by usasma, 29 November 2015 - 05:23 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:52 PM

Hi USASMA,

Thanks again.  

As for memory, I know I have a very large MS Outlook PST, and a lot of iTunes files (mostly podcasts, but also some video).  I can move a lot of iTunes to an external hard drive.

Bonjour - I have uninstalled Bonjour.

Wireless Drivers - Please let me know if I did this properly.  I went to Device Manager, Network Adapters.  There are 6 items in Network Adapters.  I checked each to see if there was a Driver Update available and updated 2 drivers.

Thanks so much for your help.  I am grateful.

#8 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

I had recently uninstalled CCleaner, so no worries there while we are troubleshooting.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:44 AM

Outlook's PST and the iTunes files aren't the memory that i was referring to.

This memory is the memory that the system uses to run programs (the program gets loaded into memory, then the image that's in memory gets run).

Don't mess with the drivers in Device Manager.  FWIW - the update function there only checks Windows/Microsoft update - so if there's no update there, it'll tell you that there aren't any updates.

If you got updates there, then wait to see if that has helped. 

If not, then we'll look over at the Dell Support website.

Let's see what happens after running Driver Verifier.

#10 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

Hi again,

The memory question occurred to me after I posted yesterday.  Call it wishful thinking.

Can you please be more specific about how I can check the memory?  Or can you please tell me what I should Google so I can get instructions on checking memory without wasting your time?

Thank you.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

Memory is a it of a confusing topic.  Your computer uses virtual memory.

The Windows Memory Manager manages virtual memory and puts it in physical memory when/where it's needed (pagefile, RAM, etc)

First, just before trying this, create a new Systeminfo report.

Just open up a command prompt and type "systeminfo" (without the quotes) and press Enter

Scroll down to the section where it says

Total Physical Memory:     8,086 MB
Available Physical Memory: 1,026 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  16,171 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 7,618 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    8,553 MB
Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys

Notice (this is your original report) that the Total Physical Memory is 8.086 MB and the Available Physical Memory is 1,026 MB

That's where I got the 7 gB is being eaten up.

The numbers should be similar when you start looking for memory problems (if not, then you may not find anything wrong).

Then, in order to check try these things:

Open up Task Manager (right click on the TaskBar to find it)

Select the "More details" button in the lower left.

Then, while you're in the Processes tab, click on the Memory column header to sort by the  memory.

See what Programs/processes (in the "Name" column) take up the most memory.

This is a bit tricky, so the easiest thing is to post a screen shot of it.

Some Windows processes will be significant, while others may not be.

All 3rd party (non-Windows) processes that are high in the memory usage will likely be significant

Next is to click on the Performance tab, then on the Resource Monitor link in the lower left.

Then click on the memory tab

See what Programs/processes (in the "Name" column) take up the most memory.

This is a bit tricky, so the easiest thing is to post a screen shot of it.

Some Windows processes will be significant, while others may not be.

All 3rd party (non-Windows) processes that are high in the memory usage will likely be significant

If you post screenshots, we'll discuss what the screenshots show, and then will suggest other things to try.

Good luck!

#12 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:34 PM

Thanks so much, USASMA.  Screen shots attached.

Attached Files

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:21 AM

Firefox and Chrome are eating the most (I can't see much from the screenshots as I have eye problems).

How many tabs do you have open in each browser?

Close all Firefox and Chrome windows and then see what the numbers look like in the first screenshot.

You may want to try uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox and Chrome to see if that helps.

#14 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:03 PM

Thanks again.  Should I try Driver Verifier first, or should I try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome and Firefox first?

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:35 AM

Try uninstalling Chrome and Firefox first.

Then, if you continue to have problems, run Driver Verifier then.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users