Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some questions on where to save apps

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

Now that I at last have updated Windows 10 I now have the (for me) major options for where to save or store apps, not just where to install new ones.  I have now used the Move button to transfer many to the higher capacity SD Memory Card (D). It seems to work well, with the troubling pressure taken off my small capacity SSD. I have a few questions:

1. What does the Modify button do? I have not tried it yet for fear of what may result!

2. What is the reason for some apps not having the option to Move and / or Modify?

3. Does the fact that some apps have the Move / Modify buttons 'greyed out' mean that Microsoft plans to provide these options later?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:46 AM

As to #1, I have no idea since I have not yet seen/used that "Modify" button.  Press it and find out.  I have yet to see a configuration change that you cannot cancel if you don't wish to complete it.

As to #2, virtually any OS I've worked on with apps (Win8, Win10, Android) has a certain subset that cannot be moved to external storage.  I have my theories about why this is, but nothing definitive as to explaining why.

As to #3, no.  Most of these are standard dialogs that are used for any app.  Stippling out buttons is simply the way they are made unavailable when they do not apply.  There is no implication of future changes made by this.  Now, that's not saying it might not eventually be provided, it's just saying that you can't presume that it will.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for those points. I will give Modify a click when I am feeling brave. At the moment dealing with BSOD has become a priority. I noticed the greying out of MOVE some time ago and asked then if it mean that it would be activated in future. Now with the November update it has been, and I have transferred many apps from © to (D), so I am hopeful that other greyed out buttons will become active.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users